Some campus resources can only be accessed (wired or wireless) via a secure connection using the UT VPN service. If you are off-campus, the UT VPN service places your system on a secure UT address space. This emulates your system as if it was physically on campus and connected via the wired or wireless UT network.
Note: not all campus resources require a VPN connection, but if you encounter any difficulties attempting to access a campus resource, it is recommended to connect via a VPN session first, then attempt to access the campus resource.
VPN (Virtual Private Network) is required to access your campus desktop from off campus as well as other UT services.
VPN requires two-factor authentication using DUO.
To setup DUO for the first time: https://utdirect.utexas.edu/apps/duo/register/duo_login/?next=/apps/duo/register/
Installing VPN (Application: Cisco Anyconnect Secure Mobility Client)
- Personal computer: PC or Mac
- Go to https://vpn.utexas.edu and enter your UT EID and Password.
- Authenticate with DUO
- Select the Download button to download and install the software.
- Mobile Device
Connecting to VPN:
- Start the application: Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client.
- Enter the following:
- Connect to: vpn.utexas.edu
- Username: YourEID
- Password: YourEIDPassword
- DUO Passcode (or "Second Password" on mobile apps). Type one of the following options below:
push << Sends a notification to your smart phone
sms << Sends an text to your cell phone
- phone << Sends a call to your phone number
- <numeric passcode> Generated from Duo App or text