- This fall, we are hosting Open Time and Office Hours in our space. During Open Time, students can drop in, study, hang out, connect with each other or just grab a cup of coffee. During office hours, our staff are available for informal consultation.
- We’re continuing to offer virtual 30-minute introductory presentations to SMART Recovery and SMART Recovery Family & Friends. Sign up on our website.
- During National Recovery Month in September, we hosted several special events including Yoga in Recovery on Sept. 24 and our Fall Open House on Sept. 30.
- Service enhancements are coming soon. Stay tuned for an announcement to students on Oct. 6.
- The Longhorn Wellness Center team hosted Suicide Prevention Week Sept. 20-24. The week included a series of events designed to raise awareness about college student suicide, created opportunities to connect and shared campus resources. See photos here.
- Dean Lilly sent a message to all new, incoming students sharing mental health resources; it coincided with the start of Suicide Prevention Week on Sept. 20.
- Mindful UT has 30-minute drop-in classes teaching stress management strategies including movement, music, art, nature and connection.
- We’re hiring next year’s Orientation Advisor (OA) team! Students must attend an information session to apply for the position. If you know a student who would make an outstanding OA, please tell them to fill out this form.
New Student Services staff at the team retreat
- Our staff had a virtual team retreat Sept. 29-Oct. 1 to share goals for the year ahead.
- The annual class photo for the Classes of 2024 (sophomores) and 2025 (freshmen) will take place on Oct. 20 on the Campbell-Williams Field. The photo was originally scheduled for Sept. 29, but postponed due to weather. We also invited students to participate in the class mosaic.
- Remind student organizations that all domestic student organization travel must be approved by Student Activities, including travel to the Red River Showdown in Dallas on Oct. 9. Also, registered and sponsored student organizations are required to complete Safety Education.
- Please update any references to Student Veteran Services in the Office of the Dean of Students to the unit’s new name: Veteran and Military Affiliated Services.
- Our office staff walked around campus together on Sept. 30 as a team-building activity.
Aliya LeCover tabling during Horns Against Hazing Week.
- Our Sorority and Fraternity Life team led the campus-wide Horns Against Hazing Week Sept. 20-24 that was hosted by the Wellness Network’s Hazing Prevention and Education Committee. Events throughout the week centered around building community in a healthy way through conversations about hazing prevention. Staff from New Student Services, Longhorn Wellness Center, Recreational Sports, SHIFT, and the Vice President for Student Affairs partnered on events.
- Our Student Activities team partnered with Texas Student Media on the biannual UT Marketplace on Sept. 22. These events (one in fall and one in spring) are the only time outside vendors can market to students on campus.
- Student Activities also hosted 294 student organizations at RecSports’ Party on the Plaza’s student organization fair. An estimated 28,350 students learned about these different groups.
- All current UT faculty and staff interested in joining RecSports are invited to request a 30-day complimentary membership.
- Register for our Faculty/Staff Wellness Retreat on Oct. 17. Come enjoy a nature hike, yoga class, and meditation session in Pease Park.
- Our Development team will be hosting the Hall of Honor Awards Cocktail on Oct. 14 to celebrate our latest initiate class, as well as the annual Friends of RecSports Bob Childress Classic on on Oct. 15 at Falconhead Golf Club.
- Our F45 Training classes, which are offered as part of the TeXercise group exercise program, was spotlighted on a recent F45 blog. CieCie Leonard, assistant director for fitness & wellness, discussed how the classes impact student development.
- Our first Friday at the Fields on Sept. 17 introduced new students to Wright-Whitaker Sports Complex. We offered tours of the complex, learn to play sessions, yoga classes, adventure gear basics, and sports club meet and greets.
- RecSports Recess on Sept. 15 featured our Sport Clubs program. This monthly pop-up recreation experience invites students to take a break and remember what it’s like to be a kid again.
Adrienne MacKenzie and CieCie Leonard at Party on the Plaza
- On Sept. 1, our team brought the campus community back together with Party on the Plaza featuring a silent disco, TeXercise workouts, rock climbing, free food, live DJ and games (view the recap video and photos). More than 500 students competed in the annual Scholarship Shootout awarding two $2,500 scholarships. President Hartzell and Coach Sarkisian spoke to students and the Office of the President hosted the first ever Longhorn Family Reunion nearby on Speedway.
- We’re excited to invite new members to participate in our Texas Parents Ambassadors Council. We’re currently working with the council’s Executive Committee to review new member self-nominations. Members transition off the council when their students graduate.
- We’ve added a new section to our monthly e-newsletter for parents. The collaboration with Texas Career Engagement will promote resources, workshops, and other timely information that can connect undergraduate students with job opportunities.
- Due to the ongoing impact of the COVID-19 pandemic, our Student Organization Grants and Mike Wacker Award are still under review. We hope to release more information soon on these awards.
- There’s still time to enter the university’s Vaccine Incentive Program. Faculty and staff can win amazing prizes like $500, a photo opp with Bevo and much more. The last drawing is this Friday.
- Get your COVID-19 vaccine at one of these locations near campus. The campus vaccination team hosted a pop-up vaccination clinic in the Texas Union from Aug. 23-Sept. 24. They partnered with student organizations to host the clinics.
- We've expanded on-campus COVID-19 testing with walk-up, pop-up testing locations in college, school and unit buildings across campus. These locations are open to students, faculty and staff. View the schedule.
- Students, faculty and staff can receive a flu shot on campus through our annual Flu Shot Campaign Sept. 28-Oct. 21. Shots are by appointment only.
Cayla Palmer and Taylor Simons at Party on the Plaza
- Our Healthyhorns and SHIFT teams shared information about our services at RecSports’ Party on the Plaza on Sept. 1.
- UT Farm Stand is back! Purchase local produce, Easy Tiger Bakery products and Good Flow Honey on Oct. 13 and 27.
Rudy Bernard, Keith Morrison and Leonard Tham at the Champions Club reception
- Our Forty Acres Catering team has expanded their services across campus. They provided pre-game food and beverages at the Thompson Conference Center Champions Club on Sept. 18 and 25.
Alex Smith and Alayna Hudson on The Horns Are Home Day
- Our team celebrated students’ return to campus “The Horns Are Home,” a new community-building campaign. We gave our residents in the on-campus halls and 2400 Nueces, as well as staff, a special t-shirt that we asked them to wear on Sept. 1.
- Our marketing team represented Bevo Pay at RecSports’ Party on the Plaza. Students received prizes from our merchants and 572 students signed up to receive Bevo Pay communications.
- The newest eatery in the Texas Union – Union Pizza – will be opening soon.
- Breakfast tacos, available at both Hook ‘em Huts, the Union Coffee House, and Longhorn Coffee Co. are quickly becoming a morning standout and available daily until 11 a.m.
Debbie Dillingham serves tacos during 40 Hours for the Forty Acres.
- To kick off 40 Hours for the Forty Acres on Sept. 22, our team served up brisket tacos on the front steps of the Texas Union.
- Our Campus Events+Entertainment team celebrated National Hispanic Heritage Month with Celebración de Independencias on Sept. 16. Read more about the annual festivities commemorating Latin American culture.
Live at the Cactus Café
- Get excited for live music and events back in the Cactus Café! Listen to our latest episode of the Living the Longhorn Life Podcast, and if you missed it, check out check out the September episode about the COVID-19 vaccination and university’s incentive campaign.
- Check out the Division of Student Affairs group page on HookedIn, a social media network created by the Texas Exes to connect with alumni.
- Please encourage new team members to RSVP for New Staff Welcome Oct. 27 or Nov. 3.
Vice President for Student Affairs team at the office retreat
- Our team had an office retreat on Oct. 4.
- Staff and students raised more than $117,000 for the Division during 40 Hours for the Forty Acres, Sept. 22-23. Stay tuned for information on the spring campaign.
- The VPSA Programming Team launched Longhorn Lessons, a new event series to teach students life skills, with a cooking class on Sept. 22.
Brianna McBride and Brinn Strenger on Constitution Day
- Our Twitter ConstitUTion Day trivia contest on Sept. 17 inspired civic engagement and reminded students to register to vote.
- Dean Lilly sent this email to students with the president and provost, and this email to Division staff following this announcement about in-person instruction, testing, contact tracing, and other COVID-19 updates.
University Housing and Dining staff at the Welcome Back Brunch
- Check out the photos from our Welcome Back Brunch on Sept. 8.
- View the updated schedule for the remaining two VPSA office hours sessions of the semester.
Doug Garrard, Office of the Dean of Students, gave welcome remarks at the Terry Virtual Fall Banquet on Oct. 4. He also gave welcome remarks at the Senate of College Councils welcome banquet on Sept. 26.
Ashley Richardson-Minnitt and Katharine Sucher, New Student Services, presented to University Housing and Dining resident assistants about tips for working with neurodiverse students on Sept. 13. Richardson-Minnitt also participated as a panelist in the Autism Society of Texas AUTonomy Series on Sept. 16.
Vice President for Student Affairs and Dean of Students Soncia Reagins-Lilly gave virtual welcome remarks at the 2021-22 Kick-Off Meeting of the Fraternity Alumni Council of Texas (FACT) and Interfraternity Council (IFC) Presidents on Sept. 21.
Shauna Sobers (University Housing and Dining) guest lectures.
Shauna Sobers, University Housing and Dining, guest lectured on the Clifton Strengths during McCombs School of Business Computer Science and Undergraduate Studies classes.
Robert Valdez (University Housing and Dining)
Robert Valdez, University Housing and Dining, was featured in this Hispanic Heritage Month spotlight by the Division of Diversity and Community Engagement. Valdez is serving as president-elect for the Hispanic Faculty/Staff Association.
Veteran and Military Affiliated Services in the Office of the Dean of Students received a Gold Veteran Education Excellence Recognition Award from the Texas Veterans Commission for providing outstanding education services to students who are also veterans. UT Austin is one of nine Gold Award recipients, and one of 14 total award recipients. Watch the awards presentation.
Division staff who presented at the Longhorn Wellness Center’s Suicide Prevention Week, Sept. 20-24:
- Justin Carter, Counseling and Mental Health Center and University Health Services: “Tejas Club Coffee and Self-Care” and “How to Support Students in Distress”
- Carter (panel moderator) with student athletes Olivia Bray (Women's Swimming), Janie Boyle (Women's Diving), Aaliyah Moore (Women's Basketball) and Sam Worley (Men's Cross Country): “Resiliency 101: A Conversation about Building Personal Resilience: Student-Athlete Panel”
- Sahtiya Hammell and Whitné Moussan, Counseling and Mental Health Center and University Health Services: “Longhorns Take Care of Each Other: Digital Bystander Intervention”
Jennifer Zamora and Jessica Mendiola (University Unions) at Horns Against Hazing Week
Division staff who presented at the Wellness Network’s Horns Against Hazing Week, Sept. 20-24:
- Grace Bova and Sade Dawson Love, Office of the Dean of Students, and Jennifer Zamora, University Unions, with Erica Garza, McCombs School of Business, and Thomas Schiefer, Texas Exes: “Hazing Prevention 101 Advisor Webinar and Panel”
- Sahtiya Hammell, Counseling and Mental Health Center and University Health Services: “Hazing Prevention BeVocal Presentation”