Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata


Full-time graduate students with assignments in any title at UT Austin, academic as well as non-academic positions, may not exceed twenty hours per week during the first two long sessions of graduate study at the university, and thirty hours per week during the subsequent semesters, including summer. International students have additional requirements. Students with graduate work assignments at UT Austin are required to be registered full-time (at least 9 hours in the long semesters or 3 hours in the summer).

Types of Graduate Positions

Graduate Research Assistantship (GRA)

GRA positions offer two important pieces to your experience as a doctoral student: experience and income. GRA positions usually but not always include health benefits, a monthly stipend, and tuition remission of some kind. Depending upon the actual appointment, you can also receive valuable experience working with university administrators, students, and/or the community. Past and current examples include positions with the Division of Diversity and Community Engagement and The Graduate School.

Teaching Assistantship (TA)

Teaching assistantships, as all campus positions, are limited in number. They usually provide compensation for time and sometimes include benefits and/or tuition remission. Some GRA positions include TAing as part of the GRAship. Students who are already employed elsewhere are also welcome to TA for free for graduate courses; contact professors directly concerning these opportunities. It is important to note that if you are appointed for 20 or more hours, you cannot take on a second appointment in your first year, and you can only add an additional 10 hours in your second year and beyond.

Graduate Assistantships (GA)

An important source of financial support for many students in the program is employment as a graduate assistant in various student services offices on campus. In addition to providing income, these jobs have the dividend of providing experience in student personnel administration, an important asset when applying for employment after you receive your degree.

Examples of current and past assistantships include Greek Life and Intercultural Education, Recreational Sports, New Student Services, International Student Office, Student Activities and Leadership Development, and the McCombs School of Business Office of Student Life.



Travel support is available on a limited basis for conferences. The Department of Educational Administration provides up to $400 per conference for those presenting papers at the conference with demonstrated need. Specific conferences, especially the larger national conferences, also often provide graduate scholarships; be on the lookout for those and apply as well. There are priorities for departmental funds, and efforts are made to give money to as many students as possible, meaning that students asking for money for a second conference will get occasionally passed by in favor students asking for funding for their first conference of the year. See our website for the form and deadlines.


Most students working toward the doctoral degree in Higher Education Administration need some degree of financial support. While the Department of Educational Administration has a limited number of competitive small scholarships available, loans and a very limited number of grants are available through the Office of Student Financial Services. Please visit their website for an overview of the financial aid process (

Be sure to fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), even if you do not plan to take out loans. You may be eligible for grants, but you will not be able to find out or receive these grants unless you fill out the FAFSA form and submit it to the Office of Student Financial Services by the deadline.


Flat rate tuition for each college covers the graduate student’s academic program costs, including tuition (indexed to the number of semester credit hours taken), mandatory fees and charges, and college and course incidental fees.

The graduate flat rate tuition does not include the general property deposit, the international student health insurance program fee, the international student orientation fee, the independent study and research fee or fees for extended trips that require students to live off campus. For updated tuition rates, visit the Graduate School’s tuition listings: 

  • No labels