The Graduate Coordinator Network's listserv is an electronic mailing list that is used as a forum for discussion and collaboration among its members. The listserv is a closed email list. Messages are sent directly to a subscriber's email address.
For this very reason, it is important for users to differentiate between an email that is sent to the listserv that would go to all program subscribers or one that should be sent directly to a recipient or group of recipients using personal email.
The GCN listserv is "owned" by the Executive Committee of the Graduate Coordinator Network. If you would like to subscribe to the listserve simply go to https://utlists.utexas.edu/sympa to find the list, click the "list of lists" tab, and scroll down to find firstname.lastname@example.org. Select that hyperlink and then select "Subscribe" on the left.
Guidelines for listserv etiquette:
The following is a list of etiquette guidelines to be used when one utilizes the GCN Listserv. Please remember, the listserv is provided to exchange academic information regarding graduate education and to share new ideas and skills that directly pertain to your job as a Graduate Coordinator. Since there are so many people subscribed to the list, it is important that everyone utilize the listserv appropriately. Please follow these simple guidelines.
- The listserv is unable to accept solicitations of any kind. This includes spamming or conducting or sponsoring any business which is outside The University, including, but not limited to, sales, leases, and advertising of sales or leases for others..*
- Personal inquiries or personal broadcasts are inappropriate. An example would be setting up personal lunch meetings, complaining to another coordinator, or asking a specific question that is not directly related to work as a graduate coordinator.
- If discussions continue at length between two or three people only, it may be necessary to ask those interested in the subject to continue it off-list.
- Messages should be written with professionalism. Messages that contain obscene or insulting material will not be accepted. The list owner may limit discussions that become unproductive, spiteful, or debasing to others.
- Please do not forward a personal email to the listserv without requesting permission from the originator of the email. An author or originator of the email may not want it broadcast to the listserv. Therefore, please do not forward their email to the listserv without prior written approval from the author/originator.
- When you reply to an email, please do not reply to the entire listserv UNLESS you are ABSOLUTELY sure you want all recipients to receive your message. Most of the time, it is not necessary to reply to the entire group. Please choose this option wisely. Remember: hitting 'reply' to a post will reply to the entire list, not the individual who sent the post.
We are providing you with these listserv guidelines as a reminder of their purpose, which is to provide you with a communication tool for discussion and for program administration issues. We appreciate your adhering to these guidelines.
Please note that if a subscriber is unable to comply with the listserv etiquette guidelines, that person may be removed from the listserv.