Statement of Capabilities:
The Biomedical Imaging Center at The University of Texas at Austin is an interdisciplinary, multi-methods facility currently specializing in non-invasive neuroimaging. The focal points of the center are a Siemens Skyra 3T MRI (housed in the Norman Hackerman Building) and a new Siemens Vida 3T MRI scanner (housed in the Health Discovery Building) used by many researchers for studies of human perception, memory, decision-making, and behavior. Unique emphases at the BIC includes a strong connection to supercomputing resources at the Texas Advanced Computing Center (TACC), real-time fMRI, high-resolution / 3D visual presentation, and support for developmental studies.
The Biomedical Imaging Center also has preclinical scanning capabilities. The centerpiece of the preclinical imaging systems is a Bruker BioSpec 7T MRI with a 16cm bore. The BIC currently has three volume coils with inner diameters of 72, 38, and 23 mm. The BIC also has an IVIS Spectrum optical imaging system made by Xenogen/Perkin Elmer. The system has 8 excitation filters (410-760 nm) and 12 emission filters (475-850 nm). The BIC also has the capability to do preclinical PET/CT thanks to a Siemens Inveon PET/CT scanner. The scanner is equipped with a variable focus X-ray source with an extra-large 165mm detector. The PET part of the system is equipped with LSO crystals in a 20x20 array. These crystals are arranged in 4 rings of 16 blocks making it possible to achieve 1.6x1.6mm pixel spacing. The axial PET field of view is 12.7cm, but with continuous table motion, 30cm axial field of view is possible.
- Getting Access to BIC Resources
- Dr. Jeff Luci - Imaging Physics and Engineering Support
- Dr. Don Nolting - Facilities Management
- Ruth Sogas-Paramio - Accounting
- C. Cumba - Software Stuff
BIC Staff Emergency Contacts
- Jeff Luci, Technical Director - NHB office: 512-471-8505, HDB office: 512-495-5639, mobile: 512-809-9022
- Don Nolting, Facilities Manager - NHB office: 512-232-0866, HDB office: 512-495-5629, mobile: 615-491-3032
Contact the staff members below only if Drs. Luci or Nolting cannot be reached.
- Chad Cumba, Software Engineer - office: 512-232-5957
- Ruth Sogas-Paramio, Senior Administrative Associate - office: 512-232-4203