You can use the University's Virtual Private Network (VPN) software to establish a secure connection to on campus resources through any computer that has an internet connection.
For complete information about the VPN software and for troubleshooting help, go to the ITS VPN website.
You can either use a web based AnyConnect VPN Client, or you can download and install the desktop version of the VPN client. Web based AnyConnect VPN Client is recommended.
Web Based AnyConnect VPN
- Go to http://www.utexas.edu/its/vpn/index.php.
- Click on the Log in link.
- Log in with your UTEID and password.
- Let the installer run. If prompted, install ActiveX Control.
- If prompted, click Install.
In the future, to establish a secure VPN Connection:
- Go to the Start menu and select All Programs.
- Select Cisco AnyConnect VPN client (you can find it in the Cisco folder).
- On the Connect tab, in the Connect to: box, enter vpn.utexas.edu.
- Click Select.
- In the Username and Password fields, enter your UTEID and password.
- Click Connect.
Download and Install Desktop VPN
Please note: If you need help downloading or installing VPN software, contact the ITS Help Desk at 475-9400 or visit them at FAC 200-B.
- Go to the Bevoware website, http://www.utexas.edu/its/bevoware.
- On the left, click Download Now.
- If prompted, log in with your UT-EID and password.
- On the Bevoware Usage Statement page, click Agree.
- Make sure the Selected Platform at the top of the page says Windows XP, then scroll down or click the link to the Utilities section.
- Click the Download button for Cisco Systems VPN Client 5.0.07.0290. (NOTE: This is the version available as of 7/23/2012. Download whatever the latest version is.)
- Click Save and save to your desktop or elsewhere on your computer.
- Close any open programs on your computer.
- Find where you saved the VPN installation and double-click to open it.
- If prompted, click Run.
- Click Unzip.
- Click OK.
- Installation will start and complete automatically.
- When prompted, select to restart your computer.
Run Desktop VPN:
Please note: If you have issues with the VPN software, contact the ITS Help Desk at 475-9400 or visit them at FAC 200-B.
- From your Start menu, select All Programs > VPN Client> VPN Client.
- Click Connect.
- Log in with your UT-EID and password.
- A closed lock will appear in your system tray.
- Now you can connect to your McCombs email through Outlook, your H: drive, UT printers, and your McCombs website from off-campus.
Occasionally, if VPN is not working, uninstalling, and reinstalling it will fix the problem.
If you appear to have a connection through VPN, but still cannot use the secure service that requires a VPN connection, then try terminating your connection, and then reconnecting.