The 'My Files' option on the admin menu is broken down into two file managers: My Documents and My Images.
In order to access either file manager, you go choose either My Documents or My Images, as the My Files link is intentionally a non-working link.
Both file managers have the same basic functions:
- Click to begin uploading a file. More information is here: Media Uploader & Linking Existing Media
File search tools:
- Enter any part of a file name and click apply (or press enter) to return a list of search results. This will only search files that you uploaded.
- You can also search by date using the 'Sort by' menu to organize files by date or by file name.
- The 'Order' menu allows you sort files by ascending or descending order and can be applied with or without any changes to the previous search tools.
- Click the file name to preview it. (This will also give you edit, usage, and delete buttons.)
- The column 'Use count' indicates how many times a file is used on the site, but you can also click 'Usage' to get a full listing of every place the file is used on the site.
- The 'Download' link allows you download a copy of the file onto your computer.
- The 'Edit' link allows you to edit the file's details, such as name, alt-text (what displays when someone hovers over the image), and caption text. You can also replace the file with a new version and (images only) change the crop.
- The 'Delete' link allows you to delete the file, but will ask for confirmation before it is completely removed from the site. Once confirmed, this cannot be undone.