In Blackboard, you can place students in groups to facilitate collaboration on group assignments. You then have the option to give the groups access to their own discussion boards, virtual classrooms, e-mail, and file exchange tools.
In this tutorial you will learn how to navigate to the Advanced Group Management tool, how to create a group and set group options, and how to add users to a group.
1. In the Control Panel area, on the left under Course Tools, select Advanced Group Management.
A screen capture of the Control Panel with the Advanced Group Management link highlighted.
2. On the Group Management page, click on the Add Group button on the left.
3. In the Group Name text field, enter a name that describes the group. In the Description text field, enter a helpful description.
4.To the right of the text boxes, specify which group tools to make available by clicking on the adjacent boxes.
5. Click the Submit button at the lower right to finish setting up your group. When the receipt is displayed, click the OK button.
6. On the Group Management page, click on the Select box to the left of the group name and then click on the View/Assign Users button. NOTE: If you have created multiple groups, and you want to randomly assign students to each group, you would select all the appropriate groups on this page.
7. On the View Users page, click on the Modify button. If you have selected multiple groups, you can choose the Randomize button to automatically add users to each group.
8. On the Assign Users page, click in the boxes to the right of the user names, then click the Submit button at the lower right to finish modifying your group.