Download, Installation, Configuration, Account Management, Restores
Click "App Downloads" in the left menu
Choose the appropriate installer for your OS.
- Run the installer from the downloads directory, or wherever the installer was saved.
- On Mac systems, open the .dmg file.
- It appears as a drive on the desktop.
- Open it.
- Run the installer.
- Follow the install prompts, providing administrator account credentials as necessary.
CrashPlan Agent Sign in:
- Immediately after installation, CrashPlan will launch.
- If your account already exists (this is most likely):
- Use your EID credentials in the username and password fields
- See important Info above for server/registration information.
- If a new account needs to be created
- Complete the registration, or contact the CNS OIT helpdesk to create an account for you.
- See "Important Info" above for server/registration information.
- Contact the helpdesk for the registration key or if you have any trouble registering.
- Click the "Change" button.
- Select the user profile for backup by placing a check in the box next to it..
- Click "Save".
- Click the "Start Backup" button next to "UTBackup-Master"
Small restores can be done via the crashplan website at https://utbackup.its.utexas.edu.
Large restores can be done via the client at the time of deployment.
It is highly recommended that large restores be done while the system is connected via ethernet.
- Launch CrashPlan, and provide EID credentials.
- Click 'Get Files'
- Select the date you'd like to restore from using the 'As Of Today' date picker.
- Place checks in the boxes next to the desired folders and files.
- Click the 'Get Files' button at the bottom right corner of the window.
- Use the default options.
- Click the 'go' button.
The restore can take a while depending on a number of factors: the size of the files to be restored, the network connection type and quality, if the system sleeps/hibernates while the restore is running, etc.,.
If it is interrupted for any reason, the restore can be resumed, and it will continue where it left off.
- Login to https://utbackup.its.utexas.edu.
- Find the device using Smart Search, Users, or Devices.
- The restore button is small, and unlabelled, just above the "Bandwidth" graph.
- If the user has multiple workstations, or old backups from previous workstations, select the desired one from the drop menu at the top of the window.
- Place checks in the boxes next to the desired folders.
- Click the "Restore" button.
- A progress bar will appear in the bottom left corner of the screen, this is CrashPlan compressing the selected files (it will be a single .ZIP file).
- Click on the "Click here to download" button.
- Select where the file should be saved, and the name of the file.
Known Issues and Bugs
Click the "Start Backup" button after installing.
Restores over 1-2gb are cumbersome, unpredictable, and often fail via the web interface. Using the client to perform large restores is recommended.
For web restores (or if you did not select 'current permissions' on a client restore) --- you MUST apply permissions after the restore completes to the files via chown/chmod or using the finder GUI.