- Load up two Compact Flash Cards of the same size in each of the card slots. They only go in one way so don't force cards. They should insert easily into slots.
- Turn on Power
- Reset the Ki Pro Mini or "KPM" to default settings. This resets any weird settings the previous user had set.
- Press the "Config" button
- Use the "Select" Up and Down buttons to naviagate to Menu Item # 99.1 "Factory Reset"
- Hold the "Adjust Up Arrow Button" for 2 seconds to reset the menus
- Next step is to format the CF Cards. Click on "Slot" button to access card 01. Holding down the button for a couple of seconds till the unit starts to flash blue a couple of times. This will toggle the CF media slot.
- When the KPM is set to Slot 1 format that card.
- Go to Menu Item 16.1 "Format Media"
- Press the "Adjust Up Arrow Button" to navigate to the "Format Media – FORMAT" menu
- Press this "Up Adjust Button" for 2 seconds to start formatting card slot 1.
- When card is formatting it will give you a "Format Complete" when finished.
- Next step is to format the second CF Card. Click on "Media" then "Slot" button to access card 02. Holding down the button for a couple of seconds till the unit starts to flash blue a couple of times. This will toggle the second CF media slot.
- When the KPM is set to Slot 2 format that card using the same steps as 9-12.
- Once the Format is complete on CF card 2 the next step will be to set the KPM input, frame rate and recording codec.
- Click on the "Config" button
- Use the "Select Up and Down" buttons. Go to menu #2.1 and set the "Video Input to SDI" most common. May use HDMI if that is all your camera has as an output.
- Set "Video Input" to HDMI if needed>Note that this input will only record 29.97 interlaced. Don't use if you need to record in 23.98 or 24
- Set the Audio Input to SDI same as Video Input. Or set to HDMI if the Video Input is set to HDMI. Audio and Video signals must match
- For the next few steps we will be using the Sony F3 to set up recording on the KPM.
- Connect the BNC cable out of the Sony F3 and into the KPM SDI In
- Set Menu Item 8.0 TC In to SDI RP 188 so that you record the same timecode as the camera would be recording to the internal cards if you choose to have redundancy.
- Set the KPM menu item 13.1 "Camera Data" to Sony F3 so that when you press record on the camera it will trigger record start and stop on the KPM
- Choose "None" if you don't want to have the camera trigger Rec. Start and Stop
- Set the Sony F3 to 23.98. Go to Menu>Others>System>Format>HQ1920/23.98
- When you press the "Status" button on the KPM you will see the SDI Video input is auto detected as 1080 23.98 PsF
- When you press record on the Sony F3 it will trigger the recording on the KPM
The Red record light will flash and you will see the REC 1080PsF 23.98 ProREs
BIG NOTE!!!! – THE KIPRO MINI WILL NOT AUTOMATICALLY START RECORDING ON CARD 2. YOU MUST SET UP THE RECORDER TO BEGIN ON SLOT 1 AND WATCH IT. WHEN IT STARTS TO GET FULL YOU NEED TO STOP RECORDING AND SWITCH THE SLOT TO CARD 2. WHEN THAT CARD GETS FULL THEN YOU MUST MANUALLY SWITCH THE SLOT BACK TO SLOT ONE AFTER YOU REPLACE THE CARD IN SLOT ONE WITH A CLEAN REFORMATTED CARD.
Note: To change Apple ProRes 422 settings prior to recording: Press MEDIA, and then
repeatedly press SELECT until you see 14.1 Encode Type. Then press ADJUST up or
down to select "ProRes 422LT", "ProRes 422PX", "ProRes 422HQ" or "ProRes 422". Press
MEDIA or STOP to exit the menu. To change to Avid DNxHD, select 14.0 Encode Mode
in the MEDIA menu and use the ADJUST up button to select "DNxHD." Press ADJUST
up again, and then hold ADJUST up for two seconds to reboot for DNxHD. Once the Ki
Pro Mini is rebooted, navigate to 14.1 Encode Type and press the ADJUST up or down
to select "DNxHD 220x", "DNxHD 145" or "DNxHD 36" (if using 1080p).