Editing Suites Rules for RTF Graduate Students
SECTION I: AUTHORIZATION AND QUALIFICATIONS
All of the following must apply for the user to be considered authorized and qualified to use Graduate Student Post-Production resources.
1) Facility users must meet the following conditions to be authorized users:
a) Facility User must be a registered and currently enrolled graduate level student of the University of Texas at Austin, Department of Radio-Television-Film.
b) Facility User must be currently enrolled in course work with RTF post facility resources specifically assigned to that course work. Example 881KA, 881KB, 488M, 390C and etc.
c) Facility User must be "current" with all tuition and related fees and free of any of the following encumbrances:
- Academic suspension on the University, College, or Departmental level
- Production Area rule violations and or latent or unpaid departmental fines - Such As
· Broken or missing equipment replacement fees
· Late or unpaid equipment insurance premium
· Studio use violation fines
2) Mandatory Training Qualification for Editing Suites
- Demonstrate a level of competency with the related hardware and software.
- Technical Staff require students to have training and project consultations before signing up for editing time.
SECTION II: SECURITY PRIVILEGES/GUIDELINES
Authorized and qualified users of post-production and studio facilities are granted access for their individual usage of suites and studios for academic course work and projects. This access privilege is exchanged, in part, for a pledge of complete compliance with the rules governing the use of the suites and studios, and the protection of property and projects therein.
Each post-production suite is equipped with a Building Access Control System (BACS) that requires an authorized university photo ID proximity card (issued by the ID Center) to access secured areas
- At no time may a ID proximity card be transferred from student to student, or to any other person. Access that has been authorized to that University of Texas Proximity ID of the user is a license to use the suite for authorized purposes only.
- Breach of security will be subject to disciplinary action, including, but not limited to, suspensions from further use of the facility.
- The RTF Department is not responsible for any unattended personal items or belongings including any equipment from the college or department left in the Grad Suites.
SECTION III: SCHEDULING AND ALLOCATIONS
1) ADVANCE RESERVATIONS
Users may sign up for one Digital Video Suite or one ProTools Audio Suite at a time. Don't sign up with a different name either! CAN'T USE TWO SUITES AT ONCE SO DON'T SIGN UP FOR TWO.
A schedule cycle (week), as posted on the reservation sheet, (first floor only) will run from Monday to Sunday. Advance reservations may be made for a maximum of four blocks of four hours per week.
(Four Hours per day, for a total of sixteen hours per schedule week). Reservation sheets are posted every other Monday by 3:00 PM CST.
- ADDITIONAL RESERVATION PRIVILEGES
After an open scheduling period (Monday - Sunday,) users may schedule additional sessions from available time up to a maximum of 24 hours each. This opportunity is made available at noon each Monday. Technical Staff may remove any hours scheduled in excess of 24 hours per week for re-advertisement of availability.
- FORFEITURE OF SCHEDULED SESSION: "NO SHOW" AND "STANDBY"
Anyone arriving later than fifteen minutes after the first scheduled hour of his or her reservation must yield to another's claim to the session time. All users are allowed to wait on an informal "standby" status to capitalize on a "no show."
- REQUIREMENT TO USE SCHEDULED SESSION TIME
You are required to show for all scheduled sessions. A user will not receive compensatory session time for the scheduled hours he or she failed to utilize. Please notify tech staff Jeremy Gruy or Susanne Kraft If you are not going to be able to use your scheduled time.
- CONCLUDING A SCHEDULED SESSION
At the end of any four consecutive hours of a scheduled session, the user must yield to the next user in queue, whether the next user is scheduled or awaiting use of unscheduled session time. It is good form to wrap up work at least ten minutes before the end of the session, and release the room "on the hour" to the next user.
2) UNSCHEDULED AVAILABILITY
- THE FIRST TO ARRIVE IS THE FIRST SERVED FOR UNSCHEDULED SESSIONS
Unscheduled session hours are available to any authorized and qualified user on a first to arrive, first served basis. Unscheduled hours claimed for use are still subject to a maximum of four hours of use, if another user is waiting in queue. A user of unscheduled session time should yield to the next user waiting in queue.
3) ON-Line COLOR CORRECTION SUITE Suite CMB 4.112 H
- The Color Correction suite is intended for high resolution conforming and color correcting of RAW or 10bit On-line media for graduate level film/video projects, wherein a high quality video monitor for quality control and accurate color representation is required. Users should enter the "Color Correcting" conforming phase of their project after picture is "locked," and all editorial decision making is complete. This suite is not to be used for anything else. Offline editing, Blu-Ray/DVD burning, rendering and exporting etc., is not allowed.
(4) Storage Area Network User Policies - AVID ISIS and or EditShare
- Under no circumstances will media be allowed to reside on University owned drives for a regular or Summer semester, while the post production activities on the project are dormant, or while the user is neither registered nor enrolled. Radio TV-Film Servers are not intended for archiving media.
- USER INITIATIVE TO PURGE AND BACK UP MEDIA
Technical Staff prefers that users selectively remove older media and backup their media (and project data) on a regular basis.
- TECHNICAL STAFF MEDIA MONITORING AND AUTHORIZED ACTIONS
Technical staff reserves the right to remove media at any time, without notice
· REASONS for media deletion:
• May adversely affect system performance or poses a risk to system performance
• Data not recognized and identified to an active, authorized project. Each user is required to identify Project and User Name(s) with Technical Staff
• Encrypted media is not authorized and violates University of Texas at Austin policies on secure data. In other words do not attempt store "ripped DVD" material or any similar copyrighted data.
• Exceeds data limit allowed for the user or project on Department owned media drives or internal drive. This is discussed with tech staff prior to your data ingest on to our servers.
The Technical Staff makes every effort to keep equipment serviceable and updated. Maintenance will be performed with consideration to authorized projects in progress. This notwithstanding, the University, College, Department, Faculty and Technical Staff will not be required to compensate project time lost due to technical problems caused by any user's (users') practices, equipment failures, or time required for routine or emergency maintenance.
SECTION IV: OTHER GENERAL POLICIES AND REMEDIES
1. Under no circumstances may post production suites, studios, or any other R-T-F or College wide facility, equipment, or service be utilized in any manner for monetary gain or profit, or for activities or projects unrelated to course work without University, College, or Departmental supervision and explicit sponsorship from the Department.
2. Under no circumstances may anyone who is not an actively enrolled student of the University of Texas, R-T-F Production Faculty, or R-T-F staff person access or utilize equipment.
3. Absolutely no food or drink will be permitted in the postproduction suites or technical areas.
4. No software, third party utility or outside equipment may be installed or removed in production, postproduction, studio or other technical areas without the direct supervision of Technical Area staff. Technical Staff will not certify use of software that has not been licensed by or permitted to the University of Texas.
5. No user may disconnect, reconnect, or move equipment, nor change factory or recognized settings of any equipment or software without approval of Technical Area staff persons.
Privileges of use may be interrupted or revoked at any time for acts unfair, careless, or negligent, or a violation of any accepted and/or posted rule of use, as interpreted by a member of the Production Area Faculty and/or Technical Staff. Suspensions may be applied immediately, but may not limit further disciplinary action should the infraction also violate Departmental, College or University level good faith guidelines for academic honesty.
Statement of Understanding of Post-Production Rules
(Revised August 19, 2016)
I have read, understand, and will comply with all of the Postproduction Rules
A copy of these rules has been given to me. I understand my privileges can be suspended for violations of Post Production Rules.
Printed last name___________________________________
Printed first name__________________________________
Signature Date ____________________________________