If you have questions about or requests for general liability certificates, contact AJ Bunyard (email@example.com) at least two weeks in advance of your shoot.
What is it?
General Liability Insurance (sometimes referred to as "Production Insurance") covers third party property damage within the United States.
There is a $500 deductible.
Note that there are exclusions. These are excluded from the RTF Policy:
- Feature films
- Pyrotechnics (of*any*kind)
- Vehicles ... anything having to do with any type of moving vehicle cannot be covered
- Crew or cast members
- International travel
Only students enrolled in a University of Texas RTF production class, doing a project for academic credit, are covered under this policy.
How much does it cost a production student? $32.64/pdn student/class/semester – included as part of an insurance bundle (liability, equipment replacement, & accident)
What if a location requires proof we have liability coverage?
1) Use the General Certificate of Insurance document below. It will cover most requests.
3) Any other location or rental house that needs to be added as an "additional loss/payee" and named on the policy needs a new Certificate. Email AJ Bunyard (firstname.lastname@example.org) at least two weeks in advance to ask for the certificate. Provide name of entity, physical address, and contact information as well as your filming dates. Last minutes requests cannot be honored.
Examples of when it will be used:
1) You accidentally break a window. This insurance will pay to replace the window.
2) You film on City of Austin property (such as Austin Studios). The insurance meets the City of Austin's minimum insurance requirements, making it possible for you to use their facility
3) You rent additional camera gear from Gear or Chapman Leonard. The insurance meets the rental houses' minimum LIABILITY insurance requirements, making it possible for you to rent from them.
What happens if the project is not covered under our current policy? Student must purchase insurance on his/her own and cost is borne by the student.
What if I need to submit a claim?
1) Contact AJ (email@example.com) with a detailed, written account of what happened.
2) RTF Staff will first check to verify you are currently enrolled in a RTF production class before submitting a claim to the Risk Mgnt office
3) RTF Staff will contact you, the student, with any additional information required by UT System. This will include, but is not limited to, proof of damage (like a photograph) and value/replacement cost.
4) RTF Staff will stay in contact with you, the student, and the property owner until the claim is resolved.
General Liability Certificates Currently Available to Students Currently Enrolled in an RTF Class: