It is important that you make all of your scheduled shifts. Irregular shift attendance and frequent tardiness are unacceptable and can be grounds for dismissal. Student employees will be first given a verbal warning followed up by a written warning with possible dismissal. Student employees also cannot request vacation time. Official days off are UT student holidays as well.
- Shift Trade/Coverage:
- Create a shift trade request in Shiftplanning. If there is no reply, it is your responsibility to call, text or personally email other student workers to obtain shift coverage.
- Inform your supervisor at least two days in advance after you have tried all of the above and could not find coverage for your scheduled shift time.
- If you still cannot find anyone to cover your shift, we will try to make other arrangements. Otherwise, you are expected to work that shift.
- If you agree to fill someone else's shift, you are responsible for covering that shift.
- Please do not come into work if you have a contagious illness. If possible, send a shift release request through Shiftplanning in order to get your shift covered BEFORE the beginning of your shift.
- Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as you know you are too ill to make your shift. This should happen BEFORE the beginning of your shift.
- Please contact your immediate supervisor if you become ill during your shift and cannot complete your assigned hours. Leaving your shift unannounced in any way is not acceptable and may be grounds for dismissal.
- Please contact your immediate supervisor if you have a family or medical emergency and are unable to work.
Timesheets should be submitted by noon every Monday. Timesheets are due bi-weekly every month (mid and end of month). It is your responsibility to fill out your timesheet accurately and submit it on time.
Late timesheets are not acceptable unless there are issues beyond your control. More than one reminder to submit your timesheet on time can result in warnings and possible dismissal.
Keep smartphone usage (phone calls, texting, apps, browsing) to a minimum. Please go to the back storage room or outside if you need to take a personal call. Please do not use social media (facebook, instagram, snapchat, twitter, etc.) in the Equipment Checkout room.
Please DO NOT use personal laptops and/or tablets while at work. It is important that you look approachable by clients, and that you greet each person coming in to let them know that you are available to help.
Do not watch movies, music videos or TV shows.
Fifteen minute breaks are allowed during your shift if your shift is at least 4 hours long.
- Cannot be taken at the beginning or end of your shift
- Need to be taken before 4pm if possible
- Need permission of full-time staff before taking
- Communication is Key... if you have problems, if equipment is not functioning properly, please let a Tech Service staff member know.
- Maintain a friendly, professional, and polite demeanor to all clients at all times.
- Keep yourself neat and clean. Wear work appropriate clothes. Enclosed shoes are required as you may be lifting items and toes may be in danger of having things dropped on them.
- Opening/closing duty checklists are to be maintained daily.
- Everyone is expected to keep their work areas tidy and free of clutter.
- Restroom breaks can be taken as needed.
- The radio (walkie-talkie) is the fastest way to contact any member of the tech staff...including the Checkout at the BMC. The way to use it:
- Make sure it is turned ON and on Channel 1
- Depress the button on the side and wait three seconds before speaking
- Go "This is *name* looking for *Susanne, Larry, Tech Services, Checkout, etc*...Do you copy?"
- When closing, be sure to turn OFF the radio and put it on the charger.
- Answer the phone courteously and professionally. "Moody College Equipment Checkout, this is (your name)" or "Equipment Checkout, this is (your name)" are the preferred greetings.
- Read/review the 'Staff Message of the Day' at the beginning of EVERY shift. It is located on the left side of your Usher home page after logging into the appropriate desk.
- Keep all talk to a moderate level.
- Listening to music, videos and/or movies is not allowed.
- Generally, food and drinks are not allowed. We will allow covered drinks (water bottles, containers with lids). Keep drinks away from workstations. It gets in the way of the checkout process, and it can spill onto equipment.