A University Wiki Service maintenance will occur tonight, Tues., Jan. 26, 6-8:00pm, January 26.
During this two-hour time period https://wikis.utexas.edu may be unavailable. Users are advised to save content locally that may be needed during these times and to otherwise save all edits as unsaved work may be lost. Thank you!
The University Wikis login page will soon be using the same UT Login page with which you are already familiar from logging into other services on campus.

Moody College of Communication

This Site is brought to you by the Moody College of Communication

Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Student Travel Policy for University Organized or Sponsored Events

This policy applies to the travel of enrolled undergraduate and graduate students to attend activities or events that are: organized and/or sponsored by The University of Texas at Austin; and occur more that twenty-five (25) miles from the University campus.

An organized event is one that is initiated, planned, and arranged by a member of the University's faculty or staff, or by the members of a sponsored student organization, and is approved by an appropriate administrator.  

A sponsored event or activity is one that the University endorses by supporting it financially, or by sending students to participate in it as official representatives of the University.

Student Travel Policy for Registered Student Organizations

This policy applies to the travel of student members of a registered student organization when: the organization requires its student members to attend an activity or event; and the activity or event occurs more than twenty-five (25) miles from the University campus.

Registered student organizations that require student members travel to and from events or activities that are covered by this policy must obtain prior authorization for such travel from the Dean of Students, Student Activities & Leadership Development.

Travel related forms:

Linked below are various forms that may be required for student travel. If the forms cannot be downloaded, paper copies are available from the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs, 471-1133.  A copy of each is attached, the pdf will be available on the RTF Wiki, and paper copies are available in RTF Equipment CheckOut.

  • Request for Authorization for Student Travel*
  • Release and Indemnification Agreement for Adult Students*
  • Release and Indemnification Agreement for Adult Non-Students*
  • Release and Indemnification Agreement for Minors (under 18)*
  • Authorization for Emergency Medical Treatment for Adults*
  • Authorization for Emergency Medical Treatment for Minors (under 18)*
  • RTF Tech Staff Travel Sheet.docx - used only if you are traveling with RTF production equipment.
  • *The appropriate forms should be completed and submitted to the RTF Department for review and approval at least ten days prior to travel. Contact Keefe at 512-471-9253  or Linda at 471-6565 for assistance. 

    Special Events Health Insurance

    Special Events Health Insurance is REQUIRED for uninsured students who travel to University Organized or Sponsored Events, or when travel is required for Registered Student Organizations. This short-term accident and sickness insurance is offered by the Student Insurance Division.

    To obtain this coverage, please print the Request for Special Events Coverage form below, complete it and email it to: SSPECIALEVENTS@UHCSR.COM (mailto:%20SSPECIALEVENTS@UHCSR.COM). The form should include information for each traveling student who does not have proof of current medical insurance. Questions may be addressed RTF Staff; contact Gloria at 471-4136.

    The completed Request for Special Events Insurance forms acts as the invoice for the coverage. Please include a copy of this invoice with payment. The agency or department completing the form must be prepared to either make payment from program/departmental funds or from funds collected from the students involved. The billing will be at the rate of $2.00 per day for each student for the duration of the trip, which includes travel to and from the designated location(s). A copy of the Request for Special Events Coverage form should accompany the student during the trip.   The RTF Dept. will submit the request for insurance to United Health Care Student Resources and bill the charge to student's What I Owe.

    Student Insurance related forms:
  • Request for Special Events Coverage **
  • UT_Brochure_Special Events_13_14-2.pdf
  • **A copy of each is attached, the pdf will be available on the RTF Wiki, and paper copies are available in the RTF Administrative Office and RTF Equipment CheckOut.  This Request Form must be submitted by the RTF Department but the student traveler should complete as much of the required information as possible - student should NOT submit directly to the insurance company.

    NOTE:  THIS INFORMATION HAS BEEN TAKEN FROM THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS DEAN OF STUDENTS WEBSITE AND ADAPTED TO MEET THE NEEDS OF THE DEPT OF RADIO TELEVISION FILM. 1Graduate Students seeking departmental financial support should follow the procedures outlined:  http://rtf.utexas.edu/graduate/graduate-funding-resources

If you are traveling with RTF Production Equipment you must clear this through UT RTF Equipment CheckOut.  Additional paperwork is required.  The travel policy for students traveling with RTF equipment can be found here:  https://wikis.utexas.edu/display/comm/RTF+Travel+Handbook


  • No labels