If you are planning to travel abroad for any purpose other than a vacation, you must comply with the University of Texas Student Travel Policy. Failure to comply can result in disciplinary actions.
International Travel by students includes, but is not limited to attending a conference, presenting a paper at a conference, attending a film festival, screening an original student film at a film festival, performing research, traveling as part of U.T. employment duties, acting as a project volunteer, and going as part of a student organization. The U.T. Study Abroad Office Study Abroad travel will continue to be handled directly.
It does not matter if you are enrolled during the time of travel - if you are recognized as a University of Texas at Austin student, you must comply with the University of Texas Student Travel Policy. If you are traveling abroad during the summer for any purpose other than pleasure, or if you are taking a semester off to work on your thesis, this policy directly affects you and you must comply with the University of Texas Student Travel Policy.
If you are traveling with RTF Production Equipment you must clear this through UT RTF Equipment CheckOut. Additional paperwork is required. The travel policy for students traveling with RTF equipment can be found here: https://wikis.utexas.edu/display/comm/RTF+Travel+Handbook
International students are not exempt and they must also comply with the University of Texas Student Travel Policy. This includes travel back to the student's country of origin for any purpose other than strictly pleasure.
To make this process the least invasive, you are encouraged to schedule an appointment with RTF staff member AJ Bunyard (email@example.com or 471-4136) or Mona Syed (firstname.lastname@example.org or 471-3532) for assistance in submitting your paperwork. You are encouraged to do this two to six months prior to your expected date of departure. We understand this is often not feasible and we will work with you when possible but you must begin the process as soon as you begin to plan your travel abroad.
Travel to a restricted country will likely be denied so start this process two-six months in advance. The Department may deny the request upon submission but even if the Department approves the travel, there are additional approvals required and the request can be denied at any phase of this process. If travel to a restricted region is approved by all concerned, then you must submit the remaining paperwork required for all international travel.
You must begin to budget for insurance as it is no longer covered by your student fees. Starting September 1, 2011, the cost of $19/week will automatically be charged to your What I Owe for dates of international travel. There are no exceptions. The insurance is a bundle that includes international travel accident, sickness, emergency/evacuation, and repatriation.
EXAMPLES: If your travel is for four days, you will be charged $19. If your travel is for 8 days, you will be charged $38. If your travel is for sixty days, you will be charged $171. This is not refundable and will be billed automatically when you provide your dates of travel. If your travel dates change or your trip is cancelled, you should alert the International Office so they may adjust your insurance coverage and your fee bill accordingly.
See the FAQ section for additional information.
These are the steps required if you plan to travel internationally:
1. You must follow & complete all the steps outlined by the U.T. International Office:
These steps include an online "workshop" that you must satisfactorily complete, registration on an Overseas Insurance website, UT International Travel Registry, International SOS (insurance), and complete the required paperwork.
2. *Complete Required Forms **
- Travel Request Authorization Form (Individual)
- Travel Request Authorization Form (Group)
- Release and Indemnification Agreement & Emergency Medical Authorization Release Form
- Emergency Response Plan
- Copy of Valid Drivers License (if driving during program)
- Proof of Current Liability Insurance (for personal vehicle use only, if driving during program)
- RTF Tech Staff Travel Sheet.docx - used only if you are traveling with RTF production equipment
- Carnet for University owned equipment, specifically film gear, traveling abroad - this is an RTF Requirement:
A copy of each is attached, the pdf will be available on the RTF Wiki, and paper copies are available in the RTF Administrative Office and RTF Equipment CheckOut.
3. Register Online With:
4. Purchase International Travel Accident & Sickness Insurance:* All students are required to have appropriate travel accident & sickness insurance, including evacuation and repatriation coverage, for the duration of their time abroad. To facilitate this requirement the UT Austin has contracted with Cultural Insurance Services International to provide a high quality, low cost plan.
* Effective August 2011, all students covered by the Student Travel Policy for International Locations will be charged the International Insurance Coverage Fee (IICF). This fee includes:
- International travel accident & sickness insurance provided by Cultural Insurance Services International (policy brochure, client portal)
- International SOS emergency assistance coverage (ISOS UT website) (member #11BSGC000037)
- General liability coverage
The cost for this coverage will be $19 per week and will be assessed to the students Tuition and Fee bill or their What I Owe page.
5. Schedule meeting with RTF representative to review all paperwork. Contact AJ at 471-4136 or Keefe Boerner at 471-9253. One of these staff members will review and make copies of your paperwork and advise you of additional RTF requirements for travel with equipment.
6. Submit the following to the UT Austin Study Abroad Office:
- All Required Forms (listed above)
- Proof of International Travel Accident & Sickness Insurance Coverage
- Approval of International Oversight Committee for Restricted Regions only
Please direct all questions to the U.T. Study Abroad Office: email@example.com
CHECK THE U.T. INTERNATIONAL OFFICE WEBSITE FOR ANY CHANGES OR UPDATES TO THE POLICY:
NOTE: Procedures and charges are subject to change.
Graduate students seeking departmental support should follow the procedures: http://rtf.utexas.edu/graduate/graduate-funding-resources