- Mona Syed, Graduate Program Coordinator, CMA 6.116, 512-471-3532, Graduate Coordinator Email
- Richard Lewis, MFA Graduate Advisor, CMA 6.126B, 512-475-6849, email@example.com
- Kathy Fuller-Seeley, MA/PhD Graduate Advisor, CMA, 5.128, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Key Dates for UT Graduate Students
- UT Austin Academic Calendars
- RTF News & Events Calendar (MA and PhD students – See Colloquiums, first Thursday of the month)
- Media Studies Graduate Student Calendar - Fall 2018
Click to navigate to a list of all handbooks, programs of work and checklists for PhD, MA, MFA production and MFA screenwriting
Click to go see forms for current RTF Graduate Students
Click to see funding information and links for current RTF students
Legal Services for Students (Landlord/Tenant, Renting, Criminal, Traffic, Consumer, Employment)
Ombuds Offices (website has handouts on writing letters of appeal/grievance and assertive communication)
Austin Tenants' Council (off-campus, help with rental problems in Austin)
PhD in Media Studies
MA in Media Studies
MFA in Film and Media Production
MFA in Screenwriting
- MFA Screenwriting Curriculum (entered 2019)
- MFA Screenwriting Curriculum (entered 2018)
- Quick Checklist
Forms for Current Students:
Course Permission Forms
- Add Form for Undergraduate Classes
- RTF 388 Independent Study Form
- RTF 384N Internship- Request to Enroll
- RTF 384N Internship -Student Evaluation
- RTF 384N Internship -Supervisor Evaluation
- Graduate Travel Award Request Form
- Adult Authorization for Emergency Medical Treatment
- Release and Indemnification Agreement
- Student Travel Request for Authorization
Advising and Committee Forms
- Advising Form
- PhD - Comps Committee Form.pdf
- PhD - Comprehensive Exam REVIEW Form
- PhD - Candidacy Approval and Checklist
- PhD - Dissertation Proposal Defense
- MA Thesis Committee Form
- MA Thesis/Report Proposal Approval Form
- MFA Production Thesis Committee Form
- MFA Screenwriters Thesis Committee Form
- MFA Production Committee Meeting Form
- TA/AI/RA Performance Appraisal
- MFA Screenwriting Final Thesis Script Submission - Signature Page
- MFA Production Final Thesis Film Submission - Signature Page
Student Employment Forms
- Media Studies Teaching Assistant Job Duties form (20 hour appointment)
- Media Studies Teaching Assistant Job Duties form (10 hour appointment)
Steps to Graduate
- Register for correct class (for MA & MFA = RTF 398R or 698B, for PhD = RTF x99W)
- Apply to graduate by the deadline
- Schedule defense or final screening of MFA film (Mona can reserve the room)
- Use Template for your Dissertation (PhD)/Thesis (MA) or Report (MFA or MA)
- Complete all steps on grad school page
- Upload dissertation/thesis/report to TDL
- Turn in printed pages/forms required to Graduate School
Deadline is 3PM. See the Graduate School's website for exact dates
See examples of theses/reports and dissertations here at the UT Library.
Travel and Funding
The Radio-Television-Film Department offers funds for Professional Development that are meant to help fund travel to conferences or film festivals. Each graduate student may apply for travel funds through the RTF Graduate Office and may receive up to one award each academic year, if the budget allows.
Resources for New Students
- Website: http://rtf.utexas.edu/
- Facebook: RTF Austin
- Twitter: @UTRTF
- Events Calendar: http://rtf.utexas.edu/events/
- Faculty profiles: http://rtf.utexas.edu/faculty
- Staff profiles: http://rtf.utexas.edu/staff
- Publicize news: Email RTF Communications & Programs Coordinator Elana Wakeman at email@example.com
- Media Library
- RTF Production Policies (Insurance, travel, etc.)
- Production Resource Center (“The Cage”) Website: http://rtfcage.org/
- Production Resource Center (“The Cage”) Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/StudentProductionResourceCenter/
- Digital Media Labs
- Production Facilities
- Equipment Checkout information
- Equipment Reservations
- Website: http://moody.utexas.edu/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/moodycollege
- Twitter: @MoodyCollege
- Calendar: http://moody.utexas.edu/events
- Room Reservations
- Moody Writing Support Program
- Services for Students with Disabilities
- Moody College CARE Counselor
- Counseling and Mental Health Center
- Behavioral Concerns Advice Line
- Campus Climate Response Team – report a bias incident on campus that either you experienced or you saw as a third party
- Office for Inclusion and Equity – investigates and helps to resolve complaints of discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, citizenship status, or Vietnam era or special disabled veteran status
- Title IX – report instances of sexual harassment, sexual discrimination, exploitation and intimidation
- University Compliance Services - report harassment as well as other types of illegal or unethical behavior; confidential
- Be Vocal - Learn the basics of Bystander Intervention
- Gender and Sexuality Center – mission is to provide opportunities for all members of the UT Austin community to explore, organize, and promote learning around issues of gender and sexuality. The center also facilitates a greater responsiveness to the needs of women and the LGBTQ communities through education, outreach, and advocacy.
Scholarships, Fellowships, Loans, and Grants
The Department of Radio-Television-Film awards several fellowships each year to deserving graduate students. Departmental fellowships and University-wide scholarships often require separate applications, so read the application instructions for any scholarship for which you are applying.
RTF & Moody College of Communication Fellowships and Scholarships:
- Moody Pre-thesis and Thesis Grants for MFA Production Students
- Moody College of Communications Scholarship opportunities. The link to the scholarship application is made available on this page every year and the deadline for the next academic year is always March 31.
Loans & Grants:
- Domestic students should consult the Office of Financial Aid for information about financial loans, state and federal grants, and the procedures required to obtain them.
- MFA Production students with extra expenses related to their films can file to request more financial aid. Complete the Special Circumstances Appeal Form and submit to the Office of Financial Aid.
- International Students should consult the International Office about available awards, scholarships and loans.
UT Funding Resource Guides
- UT Libraries Funding Guide
- Texas Grants Resource Center
- The Production Resource Center Grant Page (The Cage) has a compilation of links to granting agencies that will help with film costs, living costs for artists, travel to film festivals, etc.
- Funding database sponsored by the UT Libraries is a great way to search for funding for your specific topic of research; it includes funding from all over the world.
The University of Texas Fellowships:
On-campus Employment Opportunities
Hire a Longhorn Job Bank is a great resource for students seeking part-time employment.
- The Sanger Center for Teaching and Learning often has open positions.
- The Undergraduate Writing Center is always hiring writing tutors.
- UT Austin Athletics often hires mentors and tutors for the athletes in all areas.
- Nonacademic employment includes links to many job search sites for The University of Texas students.