Richard Lewis, MFA Advisor, CMA 6.126B, 512-475-6849, firstname.lastname@example.org
Kathy Fuller-Seeley, MA/PhD Advisor, CMA, 5.128, email@example.com
December 1 – Deadline for PhD to Apply for Continuing Fellowships
RTF News & Events Calendar (MA and PhD students – See Colloquiums, first Thursday of the month)
Click here (or scroll down) to navigate to a list of all handbooks, programs of work and checklists for PhD, MA, MFA production and MFA screenwriting
Click to go see forms for current RTF Graduate Students
Legal Services for Students (Landlord/Tenant, Renting, Criminal, Traffic, Consumer, Employment)
Ombuds Offices (website has handouts on writing letters of appeal/grievance and assertive communication)
Austin Tenants' Council (off-campus, help with rental problems in Austin)
PhD in Media Studies
MA in Media Studies
MFA in Film and Media Production
MFA in Screenwriting
Forms for Current Students:
Course Permission Forms
- Add Form for Undergraduate Classes
- RTF 388 Independent Study Form
- RTF 384N Internship- Request to Enroll
- RTF 384N Internship -Student Evaluation
- RTF 384N Internship -Supervisor Evaluation
- Graduate Travel Award Request Form
- Adult Authorization for Emergency Medical Treatment
- Release and Indemnification Agreement
- Student Travel Request for Authorization
Advising and Committee Forms
- Advising Form
- PhD - Comprehensive Exam Committee Form
- PhD - Comprehensive Exam REVIEW Form
- PhD - Candidacy Approval and Checklist
- PhD - Dissertation Proposal Defense
- MA Thesis Committee Form
- MA Thesis/Report Proposal Approval Form
- MFA Production Thesis Committee Form
- MFA Screenwriters Thesis Committee Form
- MFA Production Committee Meeting Form
- TA/AI/RA Performance Appraisal
- MFA Screenwriting Final Thesis Script Submission - Signature Page
- MFA Production Final Thesis Film Submission - Signature Page
Steps to Graduate
- Register for correct class (for MA & MFA = RTF 398R or 698B, for PhD = RTF x99W)
- Apply to graduate by the deadline
- Schedule defense or final screening of MFA film (Mona can reserve the room)
- Use Template for your Dissertation (PhD)/Thesis (MA) or Report (MFA or MA)
- Complete all steps on grad school page
- Upload dissertation/thesis/report to TDL
- Turn in printed pages/forms required to Graduate School
*** Deadline is 3:00 pm. See the Graduate School's website for exact dates***
See examples of theses/reports and dissertations here at the UT Library.
Click to see funding information and links for current RTF students
Resources for New Students
- Website: http://rtf.utexas.edu/
- Facebook: RTF Austin
- Twitter: @UTRTF
- Events Calendar: http://rtf.utexas.edu/events/
- Faculty profiles: http://rtf.utexas.edu/faculty
- Staff profiles: http://rtf.utexas.edu/staff
- Publicize news: Email RTF Communications & Programs Coordinator Elana Wakeman at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Production Resource Center (“The Cage”) Website: http://rtfcage.org/
- Production Resource Center (“The Cage”) Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/StudentProductionResourceCenter/
- Digital Media Labs
- Production Facilities
- Equipment Checkout information
- Equipment Reservations
- Website: http://moody.utexas.edu/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/moodycollege
- Twitter: @MoodyCollege
- Calendar: http://moody.utexas.edu/events
- Room Reservations
- Moody Writing Support Program
- Services for Students with Disabilities
- Moody College CARE Counselor
- Counseling and Mental Health Center
- Behavioral Concerns Advice Line
- Campus Climate Response Team – report a bias incident on campus that either you experienced or you saw as a third party
- Office for Inclusion and Equity – investigates and helps to resolve complaints of discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, citizenship status, or Vietnam era or special disabled veteran status
- Title IX – report instances of sexual harassment, sexual discrimination, exploitation and intimidation
- University Compliance Services - report harassment as well as other types of illegal or unethical behavior; confidential
- Be Vocal - Learn the basics of Bystander Intervention
- Gender and Sexuality Center – mission is to provide opportunities for all members of the UT Austin community to explore, organize, and promote learning around issues of gender and sexuality. The center also facilitates a greater responsiveness to the needs of women and the LGBTQ communities through education, outreach, and advocacy.
Scholarships, Fellowships, Loans, and Grants
The Department of Radio-Television-Film awards several fellowships each year to deserving graduate students. Departmental fellowships and University-wide scholarships often require separate applications, so read the application instructions for any scholarship for which you are applying.
This is a great resource from the UT Libraries: Funding Guide.
RTF & College of Communication Fellowships and Scholarships:
We have multiple Moody Fellowships and Scholarships for our graduate students. There is a $3,000 Moody Doctoral Fellowship for incoming PhD students for four years from the Moody College of Communications. There is no separate application for this fellowship.
There is a Moody Innovation Award competition for MFA in Film and Media Production students who apply for the award. These are of varying amounts and awarded beginning in the second year of the program.
The MFA in Screenwriting students are typically offered a Michener Center for Writers Fellowship in the two years of the program. There is no separate application for this fellowship.
The Department of Radio-Television-Film awards several scholarships made possible by endowments created by alumni and friends of the department. The link to the scholarship application is made available on this page every year. The College of Communication application deadline for the next academic year is always March 31.
Loans & Grants:
For information about financial loans, state and federal grants, and the procedures required to obtain them, consult the Office of Student Financial Services.
******* If you are a FILM STUDENT and you have extra EXPENSES related to your films, you can file a separate form to request more financial aid. See the Special Circumstances information and fill out the appeal form. Check with the financial aid office to file this form. *********
International Students should see the International Student Services office for rules about funding and VISA requirements.
Another resource on campus is the Regional Foundation Library; this is a database with sources of funding from foundations. These are groups, public and private, that give funds to individuals for research, travel and for creative projects, like making films. You have to go in person to them and they will help you search the database and gather all of the information you need to apply for grant money. Here is their contact information:
The Production Resource Center (The Cage) also has a compilation of links to granting agencies that will help with film costs, living costs for artists, travel to film festivals, etc. Check it out on their grant page.
Funding database sponsored by the UT Libraries; this is a great way to search for funding for your specific topic of research; it includes funding from all over the world.
The University of Texas Fellowships:
Lists of funding opportunities by deadline date:
Employment at The University of Texas
UT Austin Athletics often hires mentors and tutors for the athletes in all areas.
Nonacademic employment — includes links to many job search sites for The University of Texas students.
The Radio-Television-Film Department offers funds for Professional Development that are meant to help fund travel to conferences or film festivals. Each graduate student may apply for travel funds through the RTF Graduate Office and may receive up to one award each academic year, if the budget allows.