Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

These procedures apply to faculty, staff, or students traveling with U.T. equipment and to any RTF student traveling for the purpose of completing coursework whether they take RTF equipment with them or not.  *In addition, you must follow the appropriate procedures for your current status -- there are different forms for students vs. faculty/staff and there are additional rules, procedures, and approvals required for students to travel.  PDF versions of these are also available on our Wiki - they include "RTF Department Domestic Travel for Production Students", "RTF Department Domestic Travel for Media Studies Students", "RTF Department Student International Travel" and "RTF Department Faculty and Staff Travel".  There is a separate PDF for International Travel to a Restricted Country.*

All Travel:

1. Notify Keefe Boerner ( IN WRITING if you are traveling further than 25 miles from the U.T. Austin campus WITH RTF EQUIPMENT.

If you are traveling outside the 25 mile radius the paperwork is due a MINIMUM of TEN (10) days in advance of your proposed checkout date. Please see #6 for international travel.

If you are traveling by vehicle within the contiguous United States, all you need is the Travel Packet. You can download one here RTF Department Domestic Travel for Production Students.

3. If you are asking for a TRAVEL STIPEND:

Faculty must contact Lee Sparks AT LEAST 21 days in advance

Grad Students must contact Stacy Brodie AT LEAST 21 days in advance

4. Travel will be approved or disapproved.

Travel within the U.S. with no unusual circumstances is approved by Keefe Boerner.

International travel is approved by Keefe Boerner.  International travel to a Restricted Region must be approved by the University's International Oversight Committee before Keefe will consider your equipment request. 

5. Penalty for travel without approval.

You can lose your equipment and facilities privileges for a period of time ranging from 2 weeks to permanently.

You will owe RTF for any equipment that is seized when you enter or exit a country without a valid Carnet (or if you did not follow Carnet procedures).

International travel without approval may result in U.T. disciplinary action.

International Travel:

6. If you are a STUDENT who is traveling outside the continental U.S. for the purpose of completing your coursework, you must complete a Liability Form*. EVEN IF YOU ARE NOT TAKING U.T. PROPERTY WITH YOU.*  You must also follow all University of Texas Rules regarding Student Travel to International Destinations.  This includes attending an International Office workshop, registering on three websites, and submitting all the required paperwork.  Submit your paperwork to Wendy Stuessy so she can obtain the Department Chair's signature before you send your packet to the International Office.  Follow the prompts on the International Office's travel website:

International travel is allowed only by petition*. Notify Keefe Boerner IN WRITING.  You must identify ALL locations, destinations, and any country that you travel to or through, and provide an equipment list a MINIMUM of THIRTY (30) days in advance of your checkout date.  Travel MUST BE APPROVED and all required documents must be received by both the RTF Department and the International Office BEFORE EQUIPMENT CAN BE CHECKED OUT. International travel MAY require a Carnet; depending on which countries you travel to or through. You must obtain the Carnet BEFORE you checkout equipment. In order to get the Carnet, you will need specific information from Equipment Checkout (serial numbers of equipment for example), so you must decide on your equipment before you obtain the Carnet.

What is a Carnet and why do you need one?

Carnets are international customs documents that simplify customs procedures for the temporary importation of various types of goods. There are two types of Carnets:

ATA Carnets ease the temporary importation of commercial samples (CS), professional equipment (PE), and goods for exhibitions and fairs (EF).  They facilitate international business by avoiding extensive customs procedures, eliminating payment of duties and value-added taxes (minimum 20% in Europe, 27% in China), and replacing the purchase of temporary import bonds.

TECRO/AIT Carnets, used between the U.S. and Taiwan only, appear similar to, and serve the same function as the ATA Carnet. TECRO/AIT Carnets result from a bilateral agreement between the US and Taiwan, covering only commercial samples (CS), and professional equipment (PE).

Carnets save time, effort, and money.  They:

May be used for unlimited exits from and entries into the U.S. and foreign countries (Carnets are valid for one year),

Are accepted in over 75 countries and territories,

**Eliminate value-added taxes (VAT), duties, and the posting of security normally required at the time of importation,

**Simplify customs procedures. Carnets allow a temporary exporter to use a single document for all customs transactions, make arrangements in advance, and at a predetermined cost,

**Facilitate reentry into the U.S. by eliminating the need to register the goods with U.S. Customs at the time of departure.

Items marked with ** are why RTF requires Carnets.


INDIVIDUALS are responsible for obtaining their Carnets in advance, paying for the Carnet, and following Carnet protocol. There are serious financial consequences for not following Carnet protocols, so pay attention to their instructions.

Which countries are Carnet countries?  Because this list is subject to change without notice at any time, check here

How much does a Carnet cost?

The cost is based on the dollar value of the equipment AND how soon you need to receive your Carnet.

  • No labels