- Load up two Compact Flash Cards of the same size in each of the card slots. They only go in one way so don't force cards. They should insert easily into slots.
- Turn on Power
- Reset the Ki Pro Mini or "KPM" to default settings. This resets any weird settings the previous user had set.
- Press the "Config" button
- Use the "Select" Up and Down buttons to naviagate to Menu Item # 99.1 "Factory Reset"
- Hold the "Adjust Up Arrow Button" for 2 seconds to reset the menus
- Next step is to format the CF Cards. Click on "Slot" button to access card 01. Holding down the button for a couple of seconds till the unit starts to flash blue a couple of times. This will toggle the CF media slot.
- When the KPM is set to Slot 1 format that card.
- Go to Menu Item 16.1 "Format Media"
- Press the "Adjust Up Arrow Button" to navigate to the "Format Media – FORMAT" menu
- Press this "Up Adjust Button" for 2 seconds to start formatting card slot 1.
- When card is formatting it will give you a "Format Complete" when finished.
- Next step is to format the second CF Card. Click on "Media" then "Slot" button to access card 02. Holding down the button for a couple of seconds till the unit starts to flash blue a couple of times. This will toggle the second CF media slot. The slot change is kind of difficult but it works. Just keep trying.
- When the KPM is set to Slot 2 format that card using the same steps as 9-12.
- Once the Format is complete on CF card 2 the next step will be to set the KPM input, frame rate and recording codec.
- Click on the "Config" button
- Use the "Select Up and Down" buttons. Go to menu #2.1 and set the "Video Input to SDI".
- Set the Audio Input to SDI same as Video Input. SDI – AUDIO INPUT
- Plug in the BNC cable into the Sony F3 HD SDI "A" connector shown here. Don't use "B" that is for Dual Link output.
- Connect the BNC cable out of the Sony F3 and into the KPM SDI In
- Turn on the Sony F3
- Press Menu>Then use the SEL/SET to select menu options
- Reset the camera settings back to default
Press >Menu>Select "Others" Menu>Scroll to "All Reset" >Execute
- Staying in the "Others" menu go to >System>Choose HD not SD
- Still in "Others" menu go to System>Format> choose HQ 1920/23.98P
- In the "Video Set" menu go to "Dual-Link & Gamma Select and choose 1.5G YPbPr 422 & S-Log or Video depending if you want to shoot S-log or not. S-log looks more flat but it gives you better color correction capabilities.
- Confirm – Select Execute
- Staying in the "Video Set" Menu go to SDI Rec Control and choose HD SDI Remote I/F - This will allow the KiPro Mini to go into record when you press record on the camera
- Set Menu Item 8.0 TC In to SDI RP 188 so that you record the same timecode as the camera would be recording to the internal cards if you choose to have redundancy.
- Set the KPM menu item 13.1 "Camera Data" to Sony F3 so that when you press record on the camera it will trigger record start and stop on the KPM
- Choose "None" if you don't want to have the camera trigger Rec. Start and Stop
- When you press the "Status" button on the KPM you will see the SDI Video input is auto detected as 1080 23.98 PsF
- When you press record on the Sony F3 it will trigger the recording on the KPM
The Red record light will flash and you will see the REC 1080PsF 23.98 ProREs
BIG NOTE!!!! – THE KIPRO MINI WILL NOT AUTOMATICALLY START RECORDING ON CARD 2. YOU MUST SET UP THE RECORDER TO BEGIN ON SLOT 1 AND WATCH IT. WHEN IT STARTS TO GET FULL YOU NEED TO STOP RECORDING AND SWITCH THE SLOT TO CARD 2. WHEN THAT CARD GETS FULL THEN YOU MUST MANUALLY SWITCH THE SLOT BACK TO SLOT ONE AFTER YOU REPLACE THE CARD IN SLOT ONE WITH A CLEAN REFORMATTED CARD.
To change Apple ProRes 422 settings prior to recording: Press MEDIA, and then repeatedly press SELECT up /down arrows until you see 14.1 Encode Type.
Then press ADJUST up or down to select "ProRes 422HQ" or "ProRes 422".
Press MEDIA or STOP to exit the menu.