PDF Properties modified to include proper metadata makes the PDF more accessible to screen readers and creates structured meta-tags for search engine indexing.
You will start off with a PDF that has not had any metadata enhancement (1) and finish with an enhanced record (2)
(1.) Before metadata added:
(2.) After metadata added:
- Add bookmarks if there are major sections/chapters and document is more than 2 pages. **
In most cases you can flip to the page, select the heading text (“Chapter 1. Introduction”) as if you are going to copy the text and click [CTRL+B] to create the bookmark. Drag and drop the bookmark if it needs to be a subcategory.
- Front Matter => Front Cover, Tech.Rpt.Doc.Pg., Title Page, Copyright Page, Acknowledgments, Disclaimer
- Table of Contents => +List of Figures, List of Tables
- Back Cover
- View the PDF and open to "PDF Properties" (File>Properties…) and add the following metadata:
- Description TAB:
- Title**: The title as given on the title page
- Author**: rule of 3. Only need first author if there are 3 or more authors. Separate each name by a comma (do not use "and" between different names).
- Subject*: the Study Number (e.g., TxDOT Research Project 0-6572).
- Keywords: from the Keyword box on the Technical Report Documentation Page. Use commas.
- Initial view TAB:
- Navigation: "Bookmarks Panel and Page" (only if bookmarks were added, Just "Page" for PSRs and other items <5 pages)
- Page layout: Single page. (or single page continuous)
- Magnification: Fit page.
- Window Options:
- Resize Window to Initial Page.
- Show: Document Title. **
- Description TAB:
- Custom TAB (In this tab, you have to specify the name of the field in one box and the field value in the other box):
- dc.date (value= yyyy-mm-dd)
- dc.date.issued (if specified as “published on the report or publication date is known via another source. Value=yyyy-mm-dd)
- dc.contributor.sponsor (value for CTR usually = Texas Department of Transportation)
- dc.contributor.editor (if known)
- value = the report number listed in Box 1 of the technical report documentation page. Products and PSRs can have a derived identifier
- Example value = TxDOT PSR 0-7015-S
- Example value = FHWA/TX-22/0-7015-1
- dc.publisher (value for CTR usually = Center for Transportation Research-UT Austin)
- Advanced TAB: Language=English **
- Open the Thumbnails panel.
- Select the pages that need to be adjusted and are part of the same series.
- Right click on a selected thumbnail and choose "Page Labels..."
- Select the page numbering type and page range.
- Specify the number that the first page in you selection should be.
- If the number has a prefix, add that field (e.g., A- if all Appendix A page numbers are preceded with "A-").