Request Access First
Engineering users: Contact the CSE IT Group to get access to use Remote Desktop - the below notes only cover how to use.
How to connect to your UT Windows computer using Remote Desktop
(you computer must be turned on and connected to the network)
- Open Remote Desktop
- In the Search bar enter: Remote Desktop Connection
- Quick Tip: You can pin a Remote Desktop Connection on your taskbar by right-clicking and choosing Pin to Taskbar
- Enter the name of your computer: computer-name.austin.utexas.edu
- How do I find my Computer Name? - make sure check for a change in computer name for new computers and re-imaged computers.
- Enter the Remote Desktop Gateway details (should only have to do the first time) by following directions here - Using the Remote Desktop Gateway (RDG)
- Click Connect
- Log into the RG Gateway
- Username: austin\YourEID
- Password: YourEID-Password
- You will be prompted for DUO authentication
- If prompted, re-enter your EID password
- Once the connection is complete, a new window will appear with your remote desktop session, and you can use your applications as normal.
How to disconnect from your Remote Desktop Session - Windows
Remote Desktop Software
Remote desktop software is built into every version of Windows and also available for Mac OS and Linux
- Windows: In the Search bar enter: Remote Desktop Connection
- Mac Microsoft Remote Desktop: Available through the AppStore.
- Linux RDP Software: http://www.rdesktop.org/