Request Access First
Contact the CSE IT Group to get access to use Remote Desktop - the below notes only cover how to use.
How to connect to your UT computer using Remote Desktop
(you computer must be turned on and connected to the network)
- Start VPN client(for detailed instructions, Connecting to the University of Texas VPN).
- Open Remote Desktop
- In the Search bar enter: Remote Desktop Connection
- Quick Tip: You can pin a Remote DesktopConnection on your taskbar by right-clicking and choosing Pin to Taskbar
- Enter the name of your computer: computer-name.austin.utexas.edu
- How do I find my Computer Name? - make sure check for a change in compter name for new computers for re-imaged computers.
- Once your computer responds, you will be asked to log on
- Username: austin\YourEID
- Password: YourEID-Password
- Once the connection is complete, a new window will appear with your remote desktop session, and you can use your applications as normal.
How to disconnect from your Remote Desktop Session
Remote Desktop Software
Remote desktop software is built into every version of Windows and also available for Mac OS and Linux
- Windows: In the Search bar enter: Remote Desktop Connection
- Mac Microsoft Remote Desktop: Available through the AppStore.
- Linux RDP Software: http://www.rdesktop.org/