VoIP Project overview
The goal of the VoIP Project is to replace the university’s existing telephone system with a Voice Over Internet Protocol (VoIP)-based system. The new system has been purchased, and installation of the core was completed in Fall 2012. In Spring 2013, deployments will begin in buildings across campus. The deployment committee has decided to hire a contractor (Mutual Telecom Services, Inc.) for the majority of the in-building work in order to complete the deployment in approximately two years, thereby accelerating features and cost savings for units.
Please see the ITS project page at utexas.edu/its/voip for more information.
Cost of service
- For information on service costs, visit the Voice Services site.
- Units will incur instrument, network, and staffing costs; initial deployment staffing will be provided by the contractor.
- Financing will be available for the initial deployment.
Supported phone sets
Please see UT VoIP Phones for a comparison of supported VoIP desksets and available pricing.
- Deployment Committee Charter
- Building deployments
- Classes of phone service
- Customer voice interface options
- Certified phone instruments available for discounted purchase through ITS. You may view these phone in SER 321.
- Genband Personal Communicator Client for Windows (Available now by building at the time the new VoIP service is deployed)
- iPhone/Android VoIP software (Genband/Gencom client, UT version, working with the vendor on issues related to cross campus roaming, TBD)
- Macintosh basic VoIP software (Third party application can be recommended by building at the time the new VoIP service is deployed)
- Considerations for units to increase savings and example scenarios (based on projected costs)
- Overview presentations
- Initial VOIP Project Charter (from initial investigation)
- SITAB project endorsement
- IT support staff technical meeting (slides): Tuesday, November 27, ACES 2.302 (Avaya) (webcast follow link)
- Business Officer/administrative telephone billing contacts and coordination meeting (slides): Thursday, November 29, ACES 2.302 (Avaya) (webcast follow link)
- Project status meeting (slides): Monday, July 15, POB 2.302 (Avaya) (webcast follow link)
- Project status meeting (slides): Tuesday, February 4, POB 2.302 (Avaya) (webcast follow link)