College Research Fellowships
There are two categories of College Research Fellowships. Please note that both categories are limited in number and awarded on a competitive basis. Applicants should discuss their application with their Department Chair in order to best understand the optimal semester to apply based on the needs and priorities of the Department.
One of the considerations in awarding any College Research Fellowship is the benefit that will accrue to the university. Please remember that there is a "return rule" associated with both the CRF and SCRF - any recipient is expected to return to normal teaching duties for at least the following academic year (two long semesters) and, if a recipient elects to leave the University without returning for an academic year, is obligated to reimburse the University for the cost of the Fellowship. For faculty taking an award for two semesters, the return rule will be for four long semesters or two academic years.
- The College Research Fellowship (CRF) relieves faculty members of teaching their required organized classes for one long semester in order to devote their attention to a research project. All COLA Assistant Professors, Associate Professors and Professors are eligible to apply. Again, please discuss with your Chair prior to applying to verify the timing of your leave, if awarded. Department Chairs will rank applications and final decisions will be made by the Dean's Office. Notifications are expected by Monday, December 21, 2020.
- The Supplemental College Research Fellowship (SCRF) is awarded to supplement prestigious external grants and fellowships. SCRFs are limited to a maximum of 50% of a faculty member's salary for the award period, regardless of the amount that the outside funding covers. The length of the award may vary to accommodate the requirements of the granting agency. Applicants and department chairs should nominate the faculty member only after receiving confirmation of the outside award. Since these awards involve the faculty member requesting a leave or release from the instructional budget, please review the college's Faculty Leave information.
Information for Applicants
All COLA Assistant Professors, Associate Professors and Professors are eligible to apply.
CRF and SCRF applications open: October 2, 2020.
College Research Fellowship (CRF): November 2, 2020
Supplemental College Research Fellowship (SCRF): May 1, 2021
Information Required for CRF Application: Name/EID/Title/Dept; application type - regular competitive application or pre-approved agreement (must provide offer/preemptive/counter letter with Dean’s Office-level approval); preferred semester for leave; research proposal title; anticipated course assignments by semester for 2021-22 including enrollment estimates for each course; all partial, semester-long, or academic year-long leaves in the past five years, beginning Fall 2015, and affiliated projects (FRA, CRF, NSF, NEH, etc.); Current CV; 2-3 page research statement outlining the research project and a description of how this fits into research trajectory; and pre-approved CRF approval letter (if applicable).
Information Required for an SCRF Application: Name/EID/Title/Dept; preferred semester for leave; research proposal title; anticipated course assignments by semester for 2021-22 including enrollment estimates for each course; all partial, semester-long, or academic year-long leaves in the past five years, beginning Fall 2015, and affiliated projects (FRA, CRF, NSF, NEH, etc.); name(s) of granting agency; Current CV; 2-3 page research statement outlining the research project and a description of how this fits into research trajectory; and award materials.
Information for Departments
- Each department should have its own internal review process for reviewing and ranking CRF applications, and in determining the department’s capacity for faculty leaves while still meeting instructional needs without additional funds from the Dean’s Office
- The Dean's Office will provide a standardized ranking spreadsheet/system for Chairs to record rankings and other notes
- Departments/Chairs will rank regular competitive applications only (not pre-approved)
- Departments may input the “preferred semester of leave” for each applicant, including pre-approved applicants (if negotiable per their commitment) and may also input individual notes for each applicant
- Each department will submit a 1-2 page Chair’s Narrative that includes:
- Number of leaves that can reasonably sustained for the year (by each semester) that will allow the department to meet its instructional needs without additional funds from the Dean’s Office, based on knowledge of existing and anticipated departmental commitments.
- The strategic and/or research priorities that informed the ranking decisions (optional)
- Any additional information that might be relevant for the Dean’s Office to know about the review/ranking process
Please contact CoLA_HRFaculty@austin.utexas.edu with any questions.
Internal and External Research Awards
The College of Liberal Arts encourages and assists faculty in obtaining research funding both from the University and from outside sources. For more information on the college’s Grant Services, please visit Grants & Contracts.
College Subvention Grants
The College of Liberal Arts has limited funds for one-time grants that provide subventions for College faculty who are unable to obtain funding from the University Subvention Grant Program or other sources. *Note that priority will be given to tenure-track faculty.
Publications can be in any language and any discipline within the College of Liberal Arts. Funds are paid directly to the publisher; authors may not be reimbursed from the account. If awarded, the author and publisher must agree to acknowledge the College of Liberal Arts at The University of Texas at Austin for the subvention grant, preferably in the front section of the book.
For more information, please download the COLA Subvention Grant Guidelines and COLA Subvention Grant Application.
For questions, contact Liberal Arts Grants Services at email@example.com.
- No labels