Winship and Laboratory Theatre Assembly Areas:
- The classroom instructor is the senior representative of the university and they are responsible to implement university policy and directives.
- Every member of the university community shall be familiar with the Emergency Policy and Procedures and understand his or her role in these emergency situations.
- University faculty members and teaching staff are responsible for the orientation of emergency procedures and evacuation routes to the students at the beginning of each semester. This includes pointing out their specific classroom's building emergency evacuation routes and exit doors. Remember that the nearest exit routes may not be the same as the way they typically enter buildings.
- In the event of a fire or other emergency, it may be necessary to evacuate a building rapidly. Upon the activation of a fire alarm or the announcement of an emergency in a university building, all occupants of the building are required to evacuate and assemble outside - in front of the big fountain at the foot of the east mall.
- Once evacuated, no one may re-enter the building without instruction to do so from the Austin Fire Department, University of Texas at Austin Police Department, or the Fire Prevention Services.
- If a Lockdown is announced, implement lockdown procedures. Lock the door, turn off lights, and shelter in place.
- Students requiring assistance in evacuation shall inform their instructors in writing during the first week of class. Faculty members must then provide this information to the Fire Prevention Services by fax (512-232-2759).
- Faculty and instructional personnel should be prepared to give appropriate instructions in the event of an evacuation. Students should follow the instructions of faculty members and class instructors during emergency evacuations.
- Everyone should ensure other occupants of university buildings are aware of emergencies, and to aid anyone requiring assistance in evacuation to the best of their abilities.
- Information regarding emergency evacuation routes and emergency procedures can be found on the Emergency Information page.
- Updates in Progress