Page tree

Versions Compared


  • This line was added.
  • This line was removed.
  • Formatting was changed.


UT students have an Advising Bar automatically placed on their registration placed by the UT Registrar. In order to register, you EDP students must turn in an EDP Advising Form to have your the advising bar removed, in order to register for classes. Advising Forms are typically due the week before early registration opens for a semester. The form requires Area Chair or Program Director signature - students typically meet with their advisor faculty mentor first to decide on their course schedule courses for the upcoming semester. Remember to update your Program of Work before advising! 


There are several other kinds of Registration Bars in addition to the Advising Bar. Any active Bars will be listed on your Registration Info Sheet (RIS), and must be cleared the department that issued it. Tip: update your emergency contact information in UT Direct annually, as this is a common registration bar from the Graduate School. 

Registration Access Times

You should check student registration access periods in the UT Academic Calendar online, and can view registration times in your Be sure to check your registration access times in your Registration Info Sheet (RIS). You must plan to be advised before Registration begins well in advance of registration, and register early at the very first opportunity. 


Late fees for registration can be substantial, and the amount of paperwork needed to late-register is cumbersome. If you failed to register by the UT deadline (or if you did not pay by the deadline and were dropped from your classes by the Registrar)did not register or pay by UT's deadlines and/or were dropped by the Registrar from your classes as a result, contact the EDP registration staff person. If it is prior to the 12th class day (for long Spring or Fall semesters) or 4th class day (for Summer), the department may be able to directly add you back to your classes. After these dates, however, paperwork will be required:

  • Graduate Add-Drop Form — form required for adds, drops and grade status change after the 12th class day (or 4th class day for Summer). Contact the EDP registration staff person for assistance with add/drops after the 12th class daythis point.
  • Late Enrollment Form — if after the 12th class day (or 4th class day for Summer) you are not enrolled in any courses, you'll need a petition from the Graduate AdvisorAdviser and the graduate Late Registration Form.


Graduate students may drop a class through the last class day of a semester, and at which point the instructor will must assign a symbol of Q (Quit) or F (Fail). The form you need to late-drop a class can be obtained from the Graduate CoordinatorEDP registration staff person.  Because the form requires the signatures of the Graduate AdvisorAdviser, it is best to decide to drop a course prior to the last week of classes.  


The maximum course load for a graduate student during long semesters (Spring/Fall) is 15 hours; , and 12 hours for the summer sessionSummer semester. A heavier course load must have the recommendation of the Graduate Advisor Adviser and approval of the Graduate Dean. Approval is granted only under certain circumstances. Contact the EDP Graduate Coordinator if you need wish to take more than the maximum number of hours.

Leave of Absence

Typically, a graduate student may apply for a leave of absence of no more than two long semesters.  Requests for a leave of absence must be recommended by your faculty advisor to your area's Program Director, who will email a leave of absence request to the Graduate Advisor (including details regarding duration and reason for the leave), who will notify the Dean of Graduate Studies. 

If a student has been admitted to candidacy for a doctoral degree, the GSC Executive Committee and Dean of Graduate Studies must also approve a leave of absence.  The Dean of Graduate Studies approves such leaves of absence only in rare and unusual circumstances.  In-candidacy students who leave the University without an approved leave of absence must reapply for admission and, if admitted, must pay for all semesters of dissertation missed during the leave.

Paperwork must be in the Graduate School office no later than a week prior to the beginning of classes or the student will have to pay the regular readmission application fee.  

A student on leave of absence may not use University facilities or receive advice from any member of the faculty.  A student who is on leave of absence (or not registered for some other reason) cannot gather data for research.

Federal Financial Aid

All students receiving federal financial aid are subject to the "excessive hours" limitations of the Office of Student Financial Services.  A Satisfactory Progress Appeal form must be filed and approved in order for you to receive federal financial assistance if you exceed 40 hours for a master's degree, or 160 hours for doctoral degree (without a master's) and 140 hours for a doctoral degree (with a master's - even if the master's degree is from another university, and regardless of how the degree was financed).  In addition, there is a maximum amount students may receive from federal financial aid.  You can find more complete information via UT Financial Services.

Academic Warning, Dismissal, and Termination

Registration in the Graduate School beyond the first semester or summer session depends on three factors:

  1. satisfactory progress in absolving any admission conditions;
  2. maintenance of a GPA of at least 3.0 in all graduate coursework; and 
  3. approval of the student’s GSC.

A graduate student whose GPA falls below 3.0 will be warned by the Graduate School.  The student must attain a satisfactory GPA during the subsequent semester or be subject to termination.  The student may not drop a course or withdraw from a course during this period without approval of the Graduate Advisor and Graduate Dean.

Unless the course is only offered CR/NC, EDP students must pass all courses used to satisfy degree requirements with a letter grade of B- or better.  You don’t want to have to repeat a course, so make sure you are signed up for the correct grade status.

In general, if a student's performance is below the expectations of the area/program, either academically or behaviorally, the student can be placed on probation through written documentation outlining all the problems, the processes by which to be removed, and the deadlines by which the processes must be completed, as well as the final recourse should satisfactory progress not be achieved by the deadlines.

The GSC may recommend termination to the Dean of Graduate Studies if a student is not making satisfactory progress.  Again, contact your faculty advisor to learn what constitutes satisfactory academic progress in your area/program.  Students have the option to voluntarily withdraw from the doctoral program.