Page tree

Versions Compared


  • This line was added.
  • This line was removed.
  • Formatting was changed.

On this page:

Table of Contents
excludeQuick Links

Quick Links


Table of Contents
excludeQuick Links

Dates and Deadlines

Students are responsible for reviewing and complying with University registration and payment deadlines, available on the UT Academic Calendar. Late advising may result in problems obtaining needed courses, while late registration/payment may result in University late fees, the Registrar dropping you from courses, etc. 


What is course advising?

UT students have an Advising Bar on their registration placed by the UT Registrar. In order to register, you must turn in an EDP Advising Form to have your advising bar removed. The form requires Area Chair or Program Director signature - students typically meet with their advisor to decide on their course schedule for the upcoming semester. Remember enroll (aka register) in classes during designated Registration periods each semester. Before Registration is the Advising period. This is when students determine what classes to take for an upcoming semester, optionally with assistance from their program advisor.

How does it work?

  • Before the advising period begins, update your Program of Work as you will need it to determine courses.
  • After reviewing your Program of Work and the UT Course Schedule, you can optionally meet with your faculty mentor or Area Chair to discuss course plans.
  • Submit your EDP Advising Form. It will route to your program's Area Chair for review.
  • Your Area Chair will review your form, and approve or request changes. You'll get an email stating whether your form was approved or denied - if any changes are needed, submit a new form. 
  • Be sure to keep your approval email as it has your class info there, which is handy to reference during course registration. 
  • If you need to make any changes to your planned courses, you must submit a new Advising Form

How do I know what courses to take?

To determine what to take for an upcoming semester, you will need to review your Program of Work and the UT Course Schedule, and we recommend you check in with your faculty mentor or about your plans as well. Remember to update your Program of Work before advising! 


Registration Bars

There are several other kinds of Registration Bars. Registration bars of any kind will prevent you from enrolling in courses for a semester, so it's important to check to see which bars (if any) you have. Any active Bars will be listed on your Registration Info Sheet (RIS), and must be cleared the department that issued it. 

Advising Bar: this bar is automatically placed on all graduate students' accounts by the Registrar's office. It will be removed by an EDP staff member after your Advising Form is approved. 

Other Bars: there are several other kinds of registration bars in addition to the Advising Bar. You'll need to reach out to the department that issued the bar in order to clear it.

Tip: update your emergency contact information in UT Direct annually, as this is a common registration bar from the Graduate School.  

Registration Access Times

You should check student registration access periods in the UT Academic Calendar online, and can view registration times in your Check your registration access times in your Registration Info Sheet (RIS). You must plan to be advised before Registration begins well in advance of registration, and register early at the very first opportunity as some classes may fill quickly. 


You will register each semester through UT's online Registration SystemRegister early! Courses Classes fill quickly, and having a course class on your Advising Form does not guarantee a seat spot in the courseclass

Out-of-Department Courses: you may need to should contact that department for permission to add their class. Be sure to list any planned out-of-department classes on your Advising Form as well

Schedule Changes: if you wish to change the schedule on your Advising Form,  you must first notify your advisor and the EDP registration staff member. Do not enroll in courses or add yourself to waitlists for courses not on send a new Advising Form to your Area Chair. You should not enroll in classes that missing from your Advising Form.

Note: Check your registration carefully! Graduate students are expected to confirm they are in the correct classes. Be sure to verify in your Class Listing online, and with the instructor on the first day of class, that you are registered for the correct course. Some courses have the same course numbers but different topics, slightly different names, etc. 


See the Graduate School policies on Late registrationRegistration for more information about deadlines and procedures.


Late fees for registration can be substantial, and the amount of paperwork needed to late-register is cumbersome. If you failed to register by the UT deadline (or if you did not pay by the deadline and were dropped from your classes by the Registrar), contact the EDP Graduate Coordinatordid not register or pay by UT's deadlines and/or were dropped by the Registrar from your classes as a result, contact the EDP registration staff person. If it is prior to the 12th class day (for long Spring or Fall semesters) or 4th class day (for Summer), the department may be able to directly add you back to your classes. After these dates, however, paperwork will be required:

  • Graduate Add-Drop Form — paper-only form required for adds, drops and grade status change after the 12th class day (or 4th class day . It can be picked up from SZB 504 or the Graduate Studies office in MAI 101for Summer). Contact the EDP registration staff person for assistance with add/drops after this point.
  • Late Enrollment Form — if after the 12th class day (or 4th class day for Summer) you are not enrolled in any courses, you'll need a petition from the Graduate AdvisorAdviser and the graduate Late Registration Form.


Graduate students may drop a class through the last class day of a semester, and at which point the instructor will must assign a symbol of Q (Quit) or F (Fail). The form you need to late-drop a class can be obtained from the Graduate CoordinatorEDP registration staff person.  Because the form requires the signatures of the Graduate AdvisorAdviser, it is best to decide to drop a course prior to the last week of classes.  

More information about Add/Drop deadlines and policies via the Graduate School.  

Course Load

Full-Time Course Load

Full-time status is necessary to receive most University fellowships, reside in University housing, and be employed for an academic appointment (Teaching Assistant, Research Assistant, Assistant Instructor, etc.). Full-time student status is typically required for visa permits for international students (until candidacy), and is frequently required for student loans or deferment of existing loans (check the Office of Student Financial Services or your lender). Full-time registration in the summer, for the purposes of having an academic appointment (TA, RA, AI, etc.) is three hours (either summer session).

Maximum Course Load

The maximum course load for a graduate student during long semesters (Spring/Fall) is 15 hours; , and 12 hours for the summer sessionSummer semester. A heavier course load must have the recommendation of the Graduate Advisor Adviser and approval of the Graduate Dean. Approval is granted only under certain circumstances. Contact the EDP Graduate Coordinator if you need wish to take more than the maximum number of hours.

Leave of Absence

Typically, a graduate student may apply for a leave of absence of no more than two long semesters.  Requests for a leave of absence must be recommended by your faculty advisor to your area's Program Director, who will email a leave of absence request to the Graduate Advisor (including details regarding duration and reason for the leave), who will notify the Dean of Graduate Studies. 

If a student has been admitted to candidacy for a doctoral degree, the GSC Executive Committee and Dean of Graduate Studies must also approve a leave of absence.  The Dean of Graduate Studies approves such leaves of absence only in rare and unusual circumstances.  In-candidacy students who leave the University without an approved leave of absence must reapply for admission and, if admitted, must pay for all semesters of dissertation missed during the leave.

Paperwork must be in the Graduate School office no later than a week prior to the beginning of classes or the student will have to pay the regular readmission application fee.  

A student on leave of absence may not use University facilities or receive advice from any member of the faculty.  A student who is on leave of absence (or not registered for some other reason) cannot gather data for research.

Federal Financial Aid

All students receiving federal financial aid are subject to the "excessive hours" limitations of the Office of Student Financial Services.  A Satisfactory Progress Appeal form must be filed and approved in order for you to receive federal financial assistance if you exceed 40 hours for a master's degree, or 160 hours for doctoral degree (without a master's) and 140 hours for a doctoral degree (with a master's - even if the master's degree is from another university, and regardless of how the degree was financed).  In addition, there is a maximum amount students may receive from federal financial aid.  You can find more complete information via UT Financial Services.

Academic Warning, Dismissal, and Termination

Registration in the Graduate School beyond the first semester or summer session depends on three factors:

  1. satisfactory progress in absolving any admission conditions;
  2. maintenance of a GPA of at least 3.0 in all graduate coursework; and 
  3. approval of the student’s GSC.

A graduate student whose GPA falls below 3.0 will be warned by the Graduate School.  The student must attain a satisfactory GPA during the subsequent semester or be subject to termination.  The student may not drop a course or withdraw from a course during this period without approval of the Graduate Advisor and Graduate Dean.

Unless the course is only offered CR/NC, EDP students must pass all courses used to satisfy degree requirements with a letter grade of B- or better.  You don’t want to have to repeat a course, so make sure you are signed up for the correct grade status.

In general, if a student's performance is below the expectations of the area/program, either academically or behaviorally, the student can be placed on probation through written documentation outlining all the problems, the processes by which to be removed, and the deadlines by which the processes must be completed, as well as the final recourse should satisfactory progress not be achieved by the deadlines.

The GSC may recommend termination to the Dean of Graduate Studies if a student is not making satisfactory progress.  Again, contact your faculty advisor to learn what constitutes satisfactory academic progress in your area/program.  Students have the option to voluntarily withdraw from the doctoral program.