Page tree

Versions Compared


  • This line was added.
  • This line was removed.
  • Formatting was changed.


On this page:
Table of Contents


excludeQuick Links

Dates and Deadlines

Students are responsible for reviewing and complying with University registration and payment deadlines, available on the UT Academic Calendar. Late advising may result in problems obtaining needed courses, while late registration/payment may result in University late fees, the Registrar dropping you from courses, etc. 


UT students have an Advising Bar on their registration placed by the UT Registrar. In order to register, you must first be advised by your faculty adviser. Your faculty adviser will assist you in filling out an Advising Card (blank cards available in SZB 504) during your advising session with them, which will include your name, EID, and the courses you have been advised to take for the following semester. You must then turn the completed and signed form in to SZB 504, and the EDP registration staff person will remove your advising bar and may contact you with follow-up questions. Note: all students MUST go over their Program of Work with the faculty adviser during this advising session. 

Registration Bars

Students must clear any other bars that may prevent timely registration, such as owing money for library books, money to the health center, etc. Any registration bars will be listed on UT Direct. Financial bars, in many cases, may be cleared by making payment online (What I Owe). For non-financial bars, you must contact the department listed on the bar details to have it cleared. Your emergency contact information in UT Direct must also be updated annually, as failure to do so may result in a registration bar from UT. 


You will register for each semester and summer session online through the Registrar’s online services. EDP students should be advised and register early, as courses can fill and delaying advising/registration may limit your ability to add the courses you need. You must also register as soon as possible to ensure your course is not cancelled due to low enrollment; late registration can also affect your instructor’s ability to obtain a TA for the course, as TA eligibility is based on the number of students registered for a course by a particular deadline. Do not register for classes that are not on your Advising Form - if you wish to make a change to your advised class schedule, contact the EDP registration staff person. 

Late Registration

Late registration is a serious matter. Because there are increasing budgetary issues, and because UT receives no funding and supervising faculty receive no credit for students who register after the 12th class day, students pay increasingly higher late registration fees, and the amount of paperwork (and legwork) needed to register late escalates quickly.  The Dean of the Office of Graduate Studies will not grant petitions for waivers of late registration fees.  

If you register late (or forget to pay for your classes on time and, therefore, have to register late because your courses are dropped from the system), you must e-mail the Graduate Coordinator the circumstances that led to your late registration.  These circumstances will be reviewed by the Graduate Adviser and, if there is still space available in the courses you need, and if he decides to petition the Dean to allow you to register late, you must complete the late registration form; obtain the signature of the instructor(s); obtain the Graduate Adviser’s signature, along with the accompanying petition; walk those to the Dean’s Office in the Main Building (Tower), and plan to spend some time in three different Main Building offices and to pay the tuition, fees, and late fees the same day.  If you do not pay the same day by 5:00, the whole process must begin again.

If you think there will be any problem making the payment deadline (and this includes potential problems getting financial aid applied), select to take out a tuition loan.  The rate in only 4% per year, so you will probably end up paying less than $20.  This will save you a lot in late registration fees and walking paperwork around to get your courses back when they are "zapped" for nonpayment!


Students may drop or add courses (approved by their faculty advisers and cleared by Department staff) through the online registration system during the first four class days of a long semester and the first two class days of summer sessions.  

During the fifth through twelfth class days of the long semesters, and the third and fourth day of summer sessions, SZB 504 registration staff can make adds and drops for students who have their faculty advisers’ approval for the changes.  After these periods, students are permitted to add classes only under exceptional circumstances.  If you add a class late, you must e-mail the Graduate Coordinator the circumstances that led to your late course addition.  These circumstances will be reviewed by the Graduate Adviser and, if there is still space available in the courses you need, and if he decides to petition the Dean to allow you to add the course late, you will need to complete an add/drop form; obtain the signature the instructor; obtain the Graduate Adviser’s signature, along with the accompanying petition; and walk those to the Dean’s Office in the Main Building, and plan to spend some time in Main Building offices to get approval for the late add and to pay the tuition and fees. turn in an EDP Advising Form to have your advising bar removed. The form requires Area Chair or Program Director signature - students typically meet with their advisor to decide on their course schedule for the upcoming semester. Remember to update your Program of Work before advising! 

Other Registration Bars

There are several other kinds of Registration Bars. Bars will be listed on your Registration Info Sheet (RIS), and must be cleared the department that issued it. Tip: update your emergency contact information in UT Direct annually, as this is a common registration bar from the Graduate School. 

Registration Access Times

You should check student registration access periods in the UT Academic Calendar online, and can view registration times in your Registration Info Sheet (RIS). You must plan to be advised before Registration begins, and register early at the very first opportunity. 


You will register each semester through UT's online Registration SystemRegister early! Courses fill quickly, and having a course on your Advising Form does not guarantee a seat in the course. 

Out-of-Department Courses: you may need to contact that department for permission to add their class. Be sure to list any out-of-department classes on your Advising Form as well. 

Schedule Changes: if you wish to change the schedule on your Advising Form, send an updated Advising Form to your Area Chair for review and approval. Only enroll in courses or add yourself to waitlists for courses that are present on your Advising Form. 

Note: Check your registration carefully! Graduate students are expected to confirm they are in the correct classes. Be sure to verify in your Class Listing online, and with the instructor on the first day of class, that you are registered for the correct course. Some courses have the same course numbers but different topics, slightly different names, etc. 

If you have trouble getting into any of your EDP classes, or have other registration issues not addressed on this page, contact Kim.

Late Registration

See the Graduate School policies on Late Registration for more information about deadlines and procedures.

Late Adds

Late fees for registration can be substantial, and the amount of paperwork needed to late-register is cumbersome. If you failed to register by the UT deadline (or if you did not pay by the deadline and were dropped from your classes by the Registrar), contact the EDP registration staff person. If it is prior to the 12th class day (for long semesters) or 4th class day (for Summer), the department may be able to directly add you back to your classes. After these dates, however, paperwork will be required:

  • Graduate Add-Drop Form — form required for adds, drops and grade status change after the 12th class day. Contact the EDP registration staff person for assistance with add/drops after the 12th class day.
  • Late Enrollment Form — if after the 12th class day you are not enrolled in any courses, you'll need a petition from the Graduate Advisor and the graduate Late Registration Form.

Late Drops

Graduate students may drop a class through the last class day of a semester, and the instructor will assign a symbol of Q (Quit) or F (Fail).    The form you will need to late-drop a class can be obtained from the Graduate Coordinator.  Because the form requires the signatures of both the instructor and the Graduate AdviserAdvisor, it is best to decide to drop a course before prior to the last week of classes (and certainly prior to being in a failing status in the course).   If you wait until the last week of class, you will need to walk the paperwork to the Graduate School yourself in order to ensure timely recording of the change.  

Check your registration carefully!  Please verify through the online registration system, and with the instructor on the first day of class, that you are, in fact, registered for the courses you intend to take. Several students have received an F or NC (no credit) grade at the end of a semester after diligently attending class and completing assignments, but for the wrong class! This typically happens for courses with the same EDP course number, but different unique numbers, or for courses with similar names but different EDP course numbers. 

An F or NC grade cannot be changed except with approval of the Graduate Dean.  The Graduate Dean does not take kindly to petitions of this nature from the Graduate Adviser, as graduate students are expected to be responsible enough to ascertain they are in the correct class! Please, therefore, take the time each semester to be certain you register for the correct courses.


All students are expected to register and pay tuition and fees by the appropriate deadlines of the fall and spring semesters of each academic year until graduation (this continuous registration rule does not apply to summer sessions).  

More information about Add/Drop deadlines and policies via the Graduate School.  

Full-Time Course Load

Full-time status is necessary to receive most University fellowships, reside in University housing, and be employed for an academic appointment (Teaching Assistant, Research Assistant, Assistant Instructor, etc.).   Full-time student status is also typically required for visa permits for international students (until they reach candidacy), and is frequently required for student loans or deferment of existing loans (check the Office of Student Financial Services or your lender).   Full-time registration in the summer, for the purposes of having an academic appointment (TA, RA, AI, etc.) is three hours (either summer session).


The maximum course load for a graduate student during long semesters is 15 hours; 12 hours is the maximum during the twelve weeks of summer.  for the summer session. A heavier course load must have the recommendation of the Graduate Adviser Advisor and approval of the Graduate Dean.   Approval is granted only one time and under certain circumstances.   Contact the EDP Graduate Coordinator if you need to take more than the maximum number of hours.


Typically, a graduate student may apply for a leave of absence of no more than two long semesters.  Requests for a leave of absence must be recommended by your faculty adviser to the Area Chair or advisor to your area's Program Director, who will email a leave of absence request to the Graduate Adviser Advisor (including details regarding duration and reason for the leave), who will notify the Dean of Graduate Studies. 

If a student has been admitted to candidacy for the a doctoral degree, the GSC Executive Committee (GSC EC) and Dean of Graduate Studies must also approve a leave of absence.  The Dean of Graduate Studies approves such leaves of absence only in rare and unusual circumstances (typically documented medical reasons and never for financial reasons).  In-candidacy students who leave The the University without an approved leave of absence must reapply for admission and, if admitted, must pay for all semesters of dissertation missed during the leave.


Federal Financial Aid

All students who are receiving federal financial aid are subject to the "excessive hours" limitations of the Office of Student Financial Services.  A Satisfactory Progress Appeal form must be filed and approved in order for you to receive federal financial assistance if you exceed 40 hours for a master's degree, or 160 hours for doctoral degree (without a master's) and 140 hours for a doctoral degree (with a master's - - even if the master's degree is from another university, and regardless of how the degree was financed).  In addition, there is a maximum amount students may receive from federal financial aid.  You can find more complete information on the Financial Services website, or by contacting your Student via UT Financial Services representative.

Academic Warning, Dismissal, and Termination


A graduate student whose GPA falls below 3.0 will be warned by the Graduate School.  The student must attain a satisfactory GPA during the subsequent semester or be subject to termination.  The student may not drop a course or withdraw from a course during this period without approval of the Graduate Adviser and Advisor and Graduate Dean.

Unless the course is only offered CR/NC, EDP students must pass all courses used to satisfy degree requirements with a letter grade of B- or better.  You don’t want to have to repeat a course, so make sure you are signed up for the correct grade status.


The GSC may recommend termination to the Dean of Graduate Studies if a student is not making satisfactory progress.  Again, contact your faculty adviser advisor to learn what constitutes satisfactory academic progress in your area/program.  Students have the option to voluntarily withdraw from the doctoral program.


Cross-listed courses taught by EDP faculty cannot be counted as out-of-department courses.