Page tree

Versions Compared


  • This line was added.
  • This line was removed.
  • Formatting was changed.
On this page:
Table of Contents
excludeQuick Links

Dates and Deadlines

Students are responsible for reviewing and complying with University registration and payment deadlines, available on the UT Academic Calendar. Late advising may result in problems obtaining needed courses, while late registration/payment may result in University late fees, the Registrar dropping you from courses, etc. 


All UT students have an advising bar Advising Bar on their registration automatically placed by the UT Registrar. In order to register, you must be advised by your faculty adviser and turn in the an EDP Advising Form to have the your advising bar removed. Your adviser will help you fill out the form during your advising session. After you turn in your form, the EDP registration staff person will remove your advising bar (or contact you with follow-up questions, if needed). Note: students must go over their Program of Work with the faculty adviser during the advising session, so be sure it is updated. The form requires Area Chair or Program Director signature - students typically meet with their advisor to decide on their course schedule for the upcoming semester. Remember to update your Program of Work before advising! 

Other Registration Bars

There are several other kinds of registration bars placed on student records by various UT entitites. Students must clear any bars through the department that issued it. Registration Bars. Bars will be listed on your Registration Info Sheet (RIS). Financial bars, in many cases, may be cleared by making payment online via your What I Owe page. For non-financial bars, you must contact the department listed on the bar details to have it cleared. Tip: Be sure to , and must be cleared the department that issued it. Tip: update your emergency contact information in UT Direct annually, as failure to do so may result in a this is a common registration bar from UTthe Graduate School

Registration Access Times

You will register for each semester online through the Registration System online. You should plan to advise at the first opportunity and register early, as courses can fill and delaying may limit your ability to add courses. General registration access periods are available via the UT Academic Calendar online, and your exact/specific registration times are available via your should check student registration access periods in the UT Academic Calendar online, and can view registration times in your Registration Info Sheet (RIS).   You must register as soon as possible to ensure your seat in the class, as well as ensure the course is not cancelled due to low enrollment. If you wish to register for courses not on your Advising Form, you must notify your faculty adviser and the EDP registration staff person. For restricted out-of-department courses, you must plan to be advised before Registration begins, and register early at the very first opportunity. 


You will register each semester through UT's online Registration SystemRegister early! Courses fill quickly, and having a course on your Advising Form does not guarantee a seat in the course. 

Out-of-Department Courses: you may need to contact that department for permission to add their class.  If you have issues getting into any of your EDP classes, or have other registration issues not addressed on this page, contact Kim.


Students may drop or add courses (approved by their faculty adviser and with notification of EDP curriculum coordinator) through the online registration system during the first four class days of a long semester and the first two class days of summer sessions.  

During the fifth through twelfth class days of the long semesters, and the third and fourth day of summer sessions, the EDP curriculum coordinator can make adds and drops for students who have faculty adviser approval for the changes.  After this period, EDP staff no longer have access to the registration system and adds, drops, or changes to grading basis require special paperwork and permission.  See Late Registration section below for details on late registration and late drops. 

Check your registration carefully!  Graduate students are expected to ascertain Be sure to list any out-of-department classes on your Advising Form as well. 

Schedule Changes: if you wish to change the schedule on your Advising Form, send an updated Advising Form to your Area Chair for review and approval. Only enroll in courses or add yourself to waitlists for courses that are present on your Advising Form. 

Note: Check your registration carefully! Graduate students are expected to confirm they are in the correct classes. Please be  Be sure to verify through the online registration systemin your Class Listing online, and with the instructor on the first day of class, that you are registered for the correct course. Some courses have the same course numbers but different topics, slightly different names, identically-named undergraduate versions, etc. Students have received an F or NC (no credit) grade at the end of a semester after diligently attending class and completing assignments, but for the wrong class!  An F or NC grade cannot be changed except with approval of the Graduate Dean, which involves a petition process 

If you have trouble getting into any of your EDP classes, or have other registration issues not addressed on this page, contact Kim.

Late Registration

See the Graduate School policies on Late Registration for more information about deadlines and procedures.

Late Adds

Late registration is a serious matter. Late fees fees for registration can be substantial, and the amount of paperwork needed to late-register is cumbersome. If you register late (or forget to pay for your classes on time and your courses have therefore been dropped failed to register by the UT deadline (or if you did not pay by the deadline and were dropped from your classes by the Registrar), you must e-mail the EDP Graduate Coordinator the circumstances that led to your late registration. These circumstances will be reviewed by the EDP Graduate Adviser and, if there is still space available in the courses you need, the Graduate Adviser may decide to petition the Graduate Dean to allow you to register late. In this circumstance, you must (1) complete the Graduate School's Late Registration Form; (2) obtain the signature of the instructor(s); (3) obtain the EDP Graduate Adviser’s signature; (4) obtain a petition letter from the EDP Graduate Adviser; (5) take this paperwork to the Graduate Dean’s Office in the Main Building; and plan to spend some time in the Main Building offices to pay the tuition, fees, and late fees that same day. If you foresee issues making the tuition payment deadline (including problems getting financial aid applied), UT suggests taking out a UT tuition loan in order to pay on time as the interest rate of the loan is often considerably less than late registration fees.  contact the EDP registration staff person. If it is prior to the 12th class day (for long semesters) or 4th class day (for Summer), the department may be able to directly add you back to your classes. After these dates, however, paperwork will be required:

  • Graduate Add-Drop Form — form required for adds, drops and grade status change after the 12th class day. Contact the EDP registration staff person for assistance with add/drops after the 12th class day.
  • Late Enrollment Form — if after the 12th class day you are not enrolled in any courses, you'll need a petition from the Graduate Advisor and the graduate Late Registration Form.

Late Drops

Graduate students may drop a class through the last class day of a semester, and the instructor will assign a symbol of Q (Quit) or F (Fail).  The The form you need to late-drop a class can be obtained from the Graduate Coordinator.  Because the form requires the signatures of the Graduate AdviserAdvisor, it is best to decide to drop a course prior to the last week of classes.  


All students are expected to register and pay tuition and fees by the appropriate deadlines until graduation (this continuous registration rule does not apply to summer sessions)More information about Add/Drop deadlines and policies via the Graduate School.  

Full-Time Course Load

Full-time status is necessary to receive most University fellowships, reside in University housing, and be employed for an academic appointment (Teaching Assistant, Research Assistant, Assistant Instructor, etc.).   Full-time student status is typically required for visa permits for international students (until candidacy), and is frequently required for student loans or deferment of existing loans (check the Office of Student Financial Services or your lender).   Full-time registration in the summer, for the purposes of having an academic appointment (TA, RA, AI, etc.) is three hours (either summer session).


The maximum course load for a graduate student during long semesters is 15 hours; 12 hours for the summer session.   A heavier course load must have the recommendation of the Graduate Adviser Advisor and approval of the Graduate Dean.   Approval is granted only under certain circumstances.   Contact the EDP Graduate Coordinator if you need to take more than the maximum number of hours.


Typically, a graduate student may apply for a leave of absence of no more than two long semesters.  Requests for a leave of absence must be recommended by your faculty adviser advisor to your area's Program Director, who will email a leave of absence request to the Graduate Adviser Advisor (including details regarding duration and reason for the leave), who will notify the Dean of Graduate Studies. 


A graduate student whose GPA falls below 3.0 will be warned by the Graduate School.  The student must attain a satisfactory GPA during the subsequent semester or be subject to termination.  The student may not drop a course or withdraw from a course during this period without approval of the Graduate Adviser and Advisor and Graduate Dean.

Unless the course is only offered CR/NC, EDP students must pass all courses used to satisfy degree requirements with a letter grade of B- or better.  You don’t want to have to repeat a course, so make sure you are signed up for the correct grade status.


The GSC may recommend termination to the Dean of Graduate Studies if a student is not making satisfactory progress.  Again, contact your faculty adviser advisor to learn what constitutes satisfactory academic progress in your area/program.  Students have the option to voluntarily withdraw from the doctoral program.