Page tree

Versions Compared


  • This line was added.
  • This line was removed.
  • Formatting was changed.
On this page:
Table of Contents
excludeQuick Links


Students are responsible for reviewing and complying with University registration and payment deadlines, available via on the UT Academic Calendar. Be sure to check the Academic Calendar dates/deadlines regularly and make your advising, registration, and payment plans accordingly. Late advising may result in difficulty problems obtaining a seat in needed courses; , while late registration/payment may result in University late fees, the Registrar dropping you from courses, etc. 


UT students have an Advising Bar on their registration placed by the UT Registrar. In order to register, you must turn in the an EDP Advising Form to  to have your advising bar removed (the . The form requires your faculty adviser's signature). Students Area Chair or Program Director signature - students typically meet with their adviser in person to go over the proposed schedule. Be sure your Program of Work is updated before advising! 


advisor to decide on their course schedule for the upcoming semester. Remember to update your Program of Work before advising! 

Other Registration Bars

There are several other kinds of Registration Bars, placed by various UT entities. Bars will be listed on your Registration Info Sheet (RIS), and must be cleared the department that issued it. Tip: Be sure to update your emergency contact information in UT Direct annually, as failure to do so may result in a this is a common registration bar from the Graduate School. 

Registration Access Times

You can view general should check student registration access periods in the UT Academic Calendar online, and your specific can view registration times in your Registration Info Sheet (RIS).  You should You must plan to be advised before Registration begins, and register early at the very first opportunity. 


You will register each semester through the UT's online Registration System. Register  Register early! Courses fill quickly, and having and having a course on your Advising Form does not guarantee a seat in the course. 

For restricted outOut-of-department courses, you must Department Courses: you may need to contact that department for permission to add their class (and be sure to note the class . Be sure to list any out-of-department classes on your Advising Form along with the EDP courses you're planning to take).If as well. 

Schedule Changes: if you wish to change the schedule from on your Advising Form:you must notify your faculty adviser and the EDP registration staff person., send an updated Advising Form to your Area Chair for review and approval. Only enroll in courses or add yourself to waitlists for courses that are present on your Advising Form. 

Note: Check your registration carefully! Graduate students are expected to confirm they are in the correct classes. Be sure to verify in your Class Listing online, and with the instructor on the first day of class, that you are registered for the correct course. Some courses have the same course numbers but different topics, slightly different names, identically-named undergraduate versions, etc. 

If you have trouble getting into any of your EDP classes, or have other registration issues not addressed on this page, contact Kim.

Adding and Dropping Courses

Students may drop or add courses through the online registration system during the first four class days of a long semester and the first two class days of summer sessions. Be sure to notify your faculty adviser and the EDP curriculum coordinator of any changes to your Advising Form! See the Graduate School's information about Adds/Drops.

To make course changes after the student online Add-Drop period has closed, you will need to contact the department offering the course. 


Late Registration

See the Graduate School policies on Late Registration for more information about deadlines and procedures.

Late Adds

Late fees for registration can be substantial, and the amount of paperwork needed to late-register is cumbersome. If you failed to register by the UT deadline (or if you did not pay by the deadline and were dropped from your classes by the Registrar), contact the EDP Graduate Coordinatorthe EDP registration staff person. If it is prior to the 12th class day (for long semesters) or 4th class day (for Summer), the department may be able to directly add you back to your classes. After these dates, however, paperwork will be required:

  • Graduate Add-Drop Form — paper-only form required for adds, drops and grade status change after the 12th class day.  It can be picked up from SZB 504 or the Graduate Studies office in MAI 101Contact the EDP registration staff person for assistance with add/drops after the 12th class day.
  • Late Enrollment Form — if after the 12th class day you are not enrolled in any courses, you'll need a petition from the Graduate AdviserAdvisor and the graduate Late Registration Form.

Late Drops

Graduate students may drop a class through the last class day of a semester, and the instructor will assign a symbol of Q (Quit) or F (Fail). The form you need to late-drop a class can be obtained from the Graduate Coordinator.  Because the form requires the signatures of the Graduate AdviserAdvisor, it is best to decide to drop a course prior to the last week of classes.  

More information about Add/Drop deadlines and policies via the Graduate School.  


All students are expected to register and pay tuition and fees by the appropriate deadlines until graduation (this continuous registration rule does not apply to summer sessions).  

Full-Time Course Load

Full-time status is necessary to receive most University fellowships, reside in University housing, and be employed for an academic appointment (Teaching Assistant, Research Assistant, Assistant Instructor, etc.).   Full-time student status is typically required for visa permits for international students (until candidacy), and is frequently required for student loans or deferment of existing loans (check the Office of Student Financial Services or your lender).   Full-time registration in the summer, for the purposes of having an academic appointment (TA, RA, AI, etc.) is three hours (either summer session).


The maximum course load for a graduate student during long semesters is 15 hours; 12 hours for the summer session.   A heavier course load must have the recommendation of the Graduate Adviser Advisor and approval of the Graduate Dean.   Approval is granted only under certain circumstances.   Contact the EDP Graduate Coordinator if you need to take more than the maximum number of hours.


Typically, a graduate student may apply for a leave of absence of no more than two long semesters.  Requests for a leave of absence must be recommended by your faculty adviser advisor to your area's Program Director, who will email a leave of absence request to the Graduate Adviser Advisor (including details regarding duration and reason for the leave), who will notify the Dean of Graduate Studies. 


A graduate student whose GPA falls below 3.0 will be warned by the Graduate School.  The student must attain a satisfactory GPA during the subsequent semester or be subject to termination.  The student may not drop a course or withdraw from a course during this period without approval of the Graduate Adviser and Advisor and Graduate Dean.

Unless the course is only offered CR/NC, EDP students must pass all courses used to satisfy degree requirements with a letter grade of B- or better.  You don’t want to have to repeat a course, so make sure you are signed up for the correct grade status.


The GSC may recommend termination to the Dean of Graduate Studies if a student is not making satisfactory progress.  Again, contact your faculty adviser advisor to learn what constitutes satisfactory academic progress in your area/program.  Students have the option to voluntarily withdraw from the doctoral program.