- Our office launched Off-Campus Living Resources to assist UT Austin students by providing tools and resources for off-campus living. Paige Muehlenkamp has joined our team as the off campus and outreach coordinator. She will help address the specific needs of students who do not live on campus, including nontraditional and commuter students.
Shannon Price and Kayleigh Damphousse at the Association for Orientation Transition Retention in Higher Education (NODA) Annual Conference
Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs
Gustavo Molinar (The Ohio State University), Ali Raza (Florida State University), Justin Samuel (University Housing and Dining) and Claudia García Louis (The University of Texas at San Antonio)
- We cohosted the UT Austin Friends & Alumni Reception during the 2019 NASPA Annual Conference with the College of Education’s Department of Educational Leadership and Policy. Check out the photos from the reception as well as conference presentations.
- The Division of Student Affairs Internship Program launched on March 25. Summer internships through this pilot program will give students the opportunity to develop professional skills to support a successful transition from college to career. Several Division units and departments will provide interns experiences that promote professional and personal development. Encourage students to apply by April 15.
- Save the date for the university’s annual fundraising event, 40 Hours for the Forty Acres, April 3-4.
- On April 12 we'll host Evening of the Stars in partnership with Student Activities in the Office of the Dean of Students. This event celebrates our student leaders with alumni and friends.
- Our staff is partnering with the Office of the President and Human Resources to recognize the President’s Student Employee of the Year winner and finalists. We will host the annual luncheon on April 15.
- Dr. Lilly and Division leadership will host New Staff Welcome April 30, 9-11 a.m., Texas Union Shirley Bird Perry Ballroom. Staff who have joined the Division since October 2018 can register on UT Learn.
- Our team will also host True Colors®: Keys to Personal Success May 1, 9-11 a.m., 1:30-3:30 p.m., and May 2, 10 a.m.-noon, 1:30-3:30 p.m., Texas Union Quadrangle Room. Staff new to the Division since April 2018 can register on UT Learn.
Texas THON in Gregory Gymnasium
The Center for Students in Recovery
- We are celebrating our 15th anniversary milestone at our annual luncheon April 6, noon–2 p.m., AT&T Hotel and Conference Center’s Tejas Room. Read more.
- As a follow-up to our new Recovery Ally Training program, we will start offering Recovery Ally Training of Trainers, April 27, 10 a.m.–1 p.m. Recovery Ally Training equips students, faculty and staff with skills to interact with students in recovery or who have a substance abuse disorder. This new program will prepare students, faculty and staff to lead a Recovery Ally Training workshop with their teams. Email or visit this page to learn more.
- The University of Texas at Austin purchased the 16-story residential building at 2400 Nueces St. late last month. The property will be used for future campus expansion, including student housing and the UT Austin International Office. We will provide oversight of the property, and Greystar, the current property manager, will manage day-to-day operations.
- We are working to increase capacity in graduate student housing by 190 students at the University Apartments. After an internal analysis and meetings with campus partners, we are making changes to the contract’s terms and conditions.
Sotear Kuy at the Cook-Wise Cooking Class
- Campus Events + Entertainment hosted the annual César Chávez Legacy Dinner featuring Andrés Chávez, grandson of the civil right activist. Check out the photos.
- The Campus Events + Entertainment team is also getting ready for the Student Endowed Centennial Lectureship on April 16. They have partnered with The Center for Sports Leadership & Innovation to host An Evening with Aly Raisman, featuring the Olympic gold medalist and Arthur Ashe Courage Award Winner. Entry is free, with seating priority given to UT Austin students with UT ID, then to other UT ID holders, and finally to the general public.
Letter from Gov. Greg Abbott
- Governor Greg Abbott recognized the Cactus Café’s 40th anniversary and its influence on the Texas music scene with a signed letter. We partnered with KUT to host anniversary shows in Hogg Memorial Auditorium, Texas Union Theatre and Cactus Café.
Emily Bouck-West (Higher Learning Advocates), Emily Wilkins (Bloomberg Government) and Soncia Reagins-Lilly at SXSW Edu
Kayleigh Damphousse, New Student Services, presented “Too Blessed to be Stressed: Navigating High Stress Situations” at the Association for Orientation Transition Retention in Higher Education (NODA) Annual Conference.
Edna Domínguez and Dr. Audrey Sorrells
Edna Domínguez, Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs, and Dr. Audrey Sorrells, Office of the Dean of Students, presented “IDI Group Profile Report Presentation” to Educational Psychology (354L).
Faith Miller (University Housing and Dining)
Justin Samuel, University Housing and Dining, presented “Respectful Communication: Discourse Across Backgrounds and Beliefs” to 25 students in the Cockrell School of Engineering.
Gerard Smithwrick, Howard Thrasher and Justin Samuel (University Housing and Dining)
National recognitions during the 2019 Student Affairs Administrators in Higher Education (NASPA) Annual Conference:
Justin Samuel (University Housing and Dining)
Justin Jaskowiak, University Housing and Dining: “Uncovering and Mitigating Bias: Designing Student Staff Selection to Ensure All Students Have Opportunities to Participate”
Justin Jaskowiak, Shauna Sobers, Mylon Kirsky and Tiana Lindberg (University Housing and Dining)
Justin Jaskowiak, Mylon Kirksy, Tiana Lindberg and Shauna Sobers, University Housing and Dining: “Improving Students’ Intercultural Competency Skills”
Justin Samuel and Justin Jaskowiak (University Housing and Dining)
Justin Jaskowiak and Justin Samuel, University Housing and Dining: “Preparing the Next Gen: Designing Inclusive and Innovative Professional Development Plans for Graduate Assistants”
Ashley Jones (Office of the Dean of Students)
Ashley Jones, Office of the Dean of Students: “Wearing Different Hats: How LGBQ+ Undergraduates Navigate Their Spiritual and Sexual Orientation Identities”
Mylon Kirksy (University Housing and Dining), Khristian Kemp-Delisser (Syracuse University), Jeff Perkins (The Ohio State University), Kahan Sablo (George Mason University) and Stephan Moore (Louisiana State University at Alexandria)
Mylon Kirksy, University Housing and Dining, with Khristian Kemp-Delisser, Syracuse University, Stephan Moore, Louisiana State University at Alexandria, Jeff Perkins, The Ohio State University, and Kahan Sablo, George Mason University: “Quaring Black Masculinity: Black Queer Male Student Affairs Professionals”
Virginia Luehrsen (Office of the Dean of Students)
Virginia Luehrsen, Office of the Dean of Students: “Transitioning to the Vice Presidency: View from the Individual and the Institution”
Justin Samuel (University Housing and Dining), Benji Jensen (San Diego State University), Nathaniel Palmer (Northeastern State University), Too Hiremath (Florida State University) and Chelsea Whitaker (The Ohio State University)
Justin Samuel, University Housing and Dining, with Roo Hiremath, Florida State University, Benji Jensen, San Diego State University, Nathaniel Palmer, Northeastern State University, and Chelsea Whitaker, The Ohio State University: “Student Affairs Journey”
Hemlata Jhaveri (University of California, San Diego), Marilyn Tyus and Shauna Sobers (University Housing and Dining)