- Once class begins, make sure that your webcam is on to engage with the instructor and your classmates. You may use a virtual background if you prefer, instructions are below under "Using Virtual Backgrounds in Zoom Meetings"
- ACTION: Please add a professional photo of yourself for your Zoom profile picture. This photo will be visible during class sessions
- After you join a meeting click the "Participants" and "Chat" buttons on the bottom control bar. These will open windows that allow you to access nonverbal icons for responding to an Instructor's questions and the class chat
- Polling questions may be presented during class. NOTE: Students must be signed into Zoom with their licensed UT Zoom account to participate in polls. Please visit How do I Make Sure That I'm Using My UT Zoom Account in the Troubleshooting section of the student Zoom wiki if you cannot see polls in class
- Your microphone will be automatically muted when you join a class
- When your instructor asks a question, use the nonverbal icons to answer. In the "Participants" window you may access "raise hand," "yes/no" and thumbs up/down (available after clicking the "more" button) Please see the illustrations below:
NOTE: If you don't see these features in the Participant window it's likely that you are logged in with a non-UT Zoom account. Please refer to How Do I Delete my Free Zoom Account for steps on terminating your free account. Here are instructions for Getting Started With Zoom and for Making Sure You Are Logged In With Your UT Zoom Account
You may be placed in video breakout rooms with a subset of your classmates assigned either randomly or pre-defined by your instructor based on group assignments. Note: You must be signed in to Zoom with your UT Zoom account to participate in Breakout Rooms. Preassigned break out rooms will not work if students enter a class late. If this is the case, the professor must leave the room and come back and reassign the breakout rooms. Please be considerate and join your class on time.
- When someone in a class is screen-sharing, you may encounter disruptions in the audio or video. If you experience audio or video problems, check out these "Internet Connection Tips".
- Chat during class should be used for lecture topics or requesting help. Please do not use this for posting non-class related material.
- TA support will help students that post questions in the Chat window and answer content questions after class, help monitor nonverbal feedback (ie. "raise hands") and keep the class muted to minimize distractions
Taking an Exam Using Proctorio
What is Proctorio?
Proctorio is a secure exam monitoring platform that integrates with Canvas and ONLY works within the Chrome web browser. You may encounter this automated system in your exams. If so, please ensure that you have the following installed on your computer. Proctorio only works on a computer, tablet and phone support is not available.