Review MSE Degree Requirements & download MSE Program of Work attached to this page.
Make a plan for which 2 primary graduate courses + 1 backup course you wish to take, being careful to check how they will count in your MSE Program of Work. The Fall Course Schedule is posted two weeks before registration begins. The approved coursework listing shows how graduate courses count toward the MSE program of work. This list is not exhaustive. If you want to take a course that is not listed, email Dr. Andrew Dunn (firstname.lastname@example.org) for permission to take the course.
STEP 3: REQUEST PERMISSION TO ENROLL
Reach out to the instructor of the course via email explaining that you are a BSBME/MSE student seeking to take their course for graduate credit. Once you have permission via email, complete and submit the Reservation of Course for Graduate Credit form via ENGR Direct (see below).
This is a two-step process that uses the same forms. First, ESS must approve your request to enroll in a graduate course. Second, you must let the Graduate School know you want to reserve the course for use toward a future graduate degree (see STEP 4 below). You use the same form for both processes. Graduate courses taken while in undergraduate standing will only count toward a future graduate degree if you reserve the courses for future graduate credit. Complete one form for each graduate course in which you enroll:
- Complete the Reservation of Course for Graduate Credit form via ENGR Direct. Under "taking a graduate course for graduate credit," look for the hyperlinked word "application."
- You must complete one form for each course you want to attempt to register for, up to a maximum of 3 courses.
- Use UT EID emails when completing the first page (e.g., email@example.com). If you need to look up someone's EID, use the UT Directory.
- Faculty Graduate Advisor signer is Lacy White, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Unit Undergraduate Advisor signer is Brittain Sobey, email@example.com
- After entering signer information, you'll need to enter details about the course. Remember, you must complete one form for each course you are taking.
- When you finish your part, the form will route automatically to everyone who needs to sign. Other signers will receive an email when it is their turn.
- When the form is complete, you will receive an email from DocuSign with a link to download your completed and signed form. Download the form and save it.
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any issues with this form or DocuSign.
When you receive the link from DocuSign to download your completed form, this means you are authorized to add your classes in the registration system. If you are unable to get in to 2 of your 3 courses, please email email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org for next steps.
Non-BME Graduate Classes: If you want to enroll in a non-BME course that is restricted, send an email to the Graduate Coordinator (GC) in the department for the class. The course may require instructor approval or the course may be restricted through the first week of classes. If the course requires instructor approval, send a copy of your Reservation of Course for Graduate Credit form to the Graduate Coordinator as proof of instructor approval.