Disk Defragmenter is a Windows utility that consolidates fragmented files on your hard drive, making your computer run more efficiently. Have you noticed that your computer has gotten a lot slower lately? Try defragging your computer, along with running Disk Cleanup.
How often should I defrag my computer?
Once every 1 - 2 months or when you notice performance issues with your computer (such as slowness). If you defrag your computer regularly, the process will go fairly quickly. If you defrag rarely and you've had your computer for several months, it could take all night!
Running Disk Defragmenter
- Close any other applications that are currently open on your computer.
- If you have a notebook computer, plug it into a power outlet and change your Power Settings so that your computer will not go to sleep or turn off.
- Turn off your screen saver.
- From your Start menu, go to All Programs > Accessories > System Utilities > Disk Defragmenter.
- Click Analyze.
- When the Analysis is complete, Disk Defragmenter will recommend that you do or do not fragment. There's no harm in defragging your computer even when it does not recommend it.
- Click Defragment to begin the process.
- Go read a book, watch tv, or leave the house. Don't do anything with your computer until it finishes.