UT owned PCs running Windows will be added to the austin.utexas.edu domain, configured for centralized patch management and encrypted before deployment.
FireAMP - Sourcefire
The windows firewall is automatically enabled and configured.
Enable Windows Firewall
Running as an administrator? Administrative accounts are granted the ability to virtually perform anything on the computer. Everyone's computer has an administrative account, and many users have the tendency to operating their computer in an administrative mode.
With an administrative account, malware/viruses have an easier time:
- Hiding itself in the system to install rootkits, backdoors, keyloggers.
- Creating new administrative accounts
- Accessing and running privileges services
- Using an infected system to attack other vulnerable computers on the network
- Users will log in using their UTEID and password and will automatically be assigned normal account privileges for everyday tasks.
- Desktop users that require administrative access should contact email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Laptops will be configured with an alternate admin account solely for use when privilege elevation is required to install software or updates.