The use of UTSOA fabrication equipment and facilities is restricted to current students, faculty, and staff in the School of Architecture.
Exception requests will be considered with a letter of sponsorship from a UT faculty member that describes the UT-related project. Please send these requests to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Laser Cutter Training and Certification
In order to become trained and certified to use the laser cutter, you must:
- Email the Tech Desk to request to be added to the UTSOA technology lab Canvas course
- Review all of the material in the "Laser Cutter Training" module, and complete the "Review" practice quizzes at the end of each section
- You have as many chances as you'd like to attempt these practice quizzes – use them to your advantage as the final quiz pulls questions from the practice quizzes
- Score a 100% on the "Laser Cutter Certification Quiz"
- You only have three attempts to receive a 100%. Take your time and read each question carefully. Incorrect answers will point you in the direction of material you still need to review.
- If you require more than three attempts, email the Tech Desk to request an additional attempt.
- Only after scoring a 100% (13/13) on the quiz, schedule a time for in-person training with a member of the Tech Desk staff through Bookings
- Once certified, you will be added to the registry of certified users for the laser cutters
CNC Router Training and Certification
In addition to the Build Lab's safety training, operators must first complete CNC Router training and certification. Email the Tech Desk for scheduling of the in-person training scheduling. A certified operator who also has a paid subscription must be present during milling operations unless the file has been approved to run unattended or overnight. Please plan well in advance as it can take time to coordinate schedules and complete the hands-on training.
In order to become CNC trained and certified:
- Complete the Build Lab's safety training, mentioned above
- Complete the Canvas course containing recordings of CNC training
- Email the Tech Desk to request to be added to the course
- Follow one of the tutorials we have created and prepare your files for cutting.
- Retrieve your end mills (bits) from the Technology Lab service desk. Foam and wood bits are included in the digital fabrication subscription. Bits broken by misuse of the router must be replaced by the user immediately and can be purchased at the Technology Lab service desk.
- Lab staff will assist you through the setup and cutting of your first project. If they are satisfied with your performance and progress, you will be added to the list of certified CNC users.
- Once you are certified, the Lab staff will continue to be available to consult on CNC projects as you develop.
Fabrication Subscription Cost and Policies
The Digital Fabrication Subscription is no longer waived beginning Fall 2021.
All students enrolled in a design studio are charged for this subscription unless that student submits an opt-out survey before the twelfth class day. This survey is sent to the students after lottery results are released. Use of the equipment is available without a subscription until the end of the twelfth class day. Students not enrolled in a design studio aren't charged for this subscription automatically and don't need to submit an opt-out survey. Any student who wishes to opt into the subscription can do so at any point in the semester.
Cost Fall and Spring
|Access to laser cutters and CNC tools as well as a discount on 3D printing||$50||$20|
- The subscription will be billed to your “What I Owe" account.
- There is no pro-ration on the cost of the subscription if you decide to join later in the semester.
- The use of the equipment is not available at an hourly rate.
- Group work is billed per user of the equipment; no 'sharing' a subscription and this applies to research projects.
- Fabrication work done in service of research projects will be billed to the appropriate UT accounts before users will be allowed to access equipment.
- Foam bits for the CNC router are included in the fabrication subscription and are available for checkout from the Tech Desk.
- Bits broken by the user due to misuse will be charged the full amount of the bit to their WIO.
- 10mm round point CNC knife blades are included in the fabrication subscription.
- Blades broken by misuse of the knife must be replaced by the user immediately and they will be charged the full amount of the bit to their WIO.