ITS Networking has enabled a feature to let you answer your office phone with a mobile phone app called Bria Enterprise client. This is not a call forwarding service. Calls to your office phone ring on your Bria app at the same time as your office phone. Also, when you make a call from the Bria app the person you call sees your office phone number and not your mobile phone number. The Bria app is a just an additional software phone tied to the same line as your office physical phone.
To register for the service please go to https://ut.service-now.com/sp?id=kb_article&number=KB0018109
This is a service that was in development by ITS prior COVID-19 but was not yet ready for release. ITS has decided to release it now due to the extenuating circumstances that make this feature highly desirable right now. Please keep in mind that there are certain caveats to consider when using this.
- This service may not work with all mobile phones.
- This service is not encrypted, so during calls you should not discuss confidential information (grades, credit card numbers, SSNs, HIPPA protected information, etc.).
- ITS is not able to provide support at this time. If you can't get it to work now you may need to wait until the service is more fully developed.
- If you encounter problems please submit a help request to McCombs Computer Services at https://www.mccombs.utexas.edu/tech. We will provide best effort support, but we cannot guarantee success.
- The registration page above contains a download link for a desktop version of the app. You are welcome to try it if you wish, but we have not seen a working desktop installation yet. At this point we only recommend the mobile app.
If you encounter a problem setting this up on your phone, then here are some actions others have taken that resolved their problem.
- Make sure you have a good signal from your phone provider. If you work in a basement at UT, for example, you may need to go outside to get a good phone signal in order to initially set the app up. This should not be a common problem for people at their homes.
- Reboot after installing. If you still encounter an error message, move to where you have a good phone signal and reboot once more.
- When dialing a campus number from your Bria app you should dial the number just as you would from your office phone (i.e. dial 1-xxxx instead of 471-xxxx). Remember, even though you are calling from your mobile phone the call is originating from your office phone service.