Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

You are viewing an old version of this page. View the current version.

Compare with Current View Page History

« Previous Version 80 Next »

On this page:

Dates and Deadlines

Students are responsible for reviewing and complying with University registration and payment deadlines, available on the UT Academic Calendar. Late advising may result in problems obtaining needed courses, while late registration/payment may result in University late fees, the Registrar dropping you from courses, etc. 


UT students have an Advising Bar automatically placed on their registration placed by the UT Registrar. EDP students must turn in an EDP Advising Form to have the advising bar removed, in order to register for classes. Advising Forms are typically due the week before early registration opens for a semester. The form requires Area Chair or Program Director signature - students typically meet with their faculty mentor first to decide on courses for the upcoming semester. Remember to update your Program of Work before advising! 

Other Registration Bars

There are several other kinds of Registration Bars in addition to the Advising Bar. Any active Bars will be listed on your Registration Info Sheet (RIS), and must be cleared the department that issued it. Tip: update your emergency contact information in UT Direct annually, as this is a common registration bar from the Graduate School. 

Registration Access Times

Be sure to check your registration access times in your Registration Info Sheet (RIS) well in advance of registration, and register early at the very first opportunity. 


You will register each semester through UT's online Registration SystemRegister early! Courses fill quickly, and having a course on your Advising Form does not guarantee a seat in the course. 

Out-of-Department Courses: you may need to contact that department for permission to add their class. Be sure to list any out-of-department classes on your Advising Form as well. 

Schedule Changes: if you wish to change the schedule on your Advising Form, send an updated Advising Form to your Area Chair for review and approval. Only enroll in courses or add yourself to waitlists for courses that are present on your Advising Form. 

Note: Check your registration carefully! Graduate students are expected to confirm they are in the correct classes. Be sure to verify in your Class Listing online, and with the instructor on the first day of class, that you are registered for the correct course. Some courses have the same course numbers but different topics, slightly different names, etc. 

If you have trouble getting into any of your EDP classes, or have other registration issues not addressed on this page, contact Kim.

Late Registration

See the Graduate School policies on Late Registration for more information about deadlines and procedures.

Late Adds

Late fees for registration can be substantial, and the amount of paperwork needed to late-register is cumbersome. If you did not register or pay by UT's deadlines and/or were dropped by the Registrar from your classes as a result, contact the EDP registration staff person. If it is prior to the 12th class day (for Spring or Fall semesters) or 4th class day (for Summer), the department may be able to add you back to your classes. After these dates, however, paperwork will be required:

  • Graduate Add-Drop Form — form required for adds, drops and grade status change after the 12th class day (or 4th class day for Summer). Contact the EDP registration staff person for assistance with add/drops after this point.
  • Late Enrollment Form — if after the 12th class day (or 4th class day for Summer) you are not enrolled in any courses, you'll need a petition from the Graduate Adviser and the graduate Late Registration Form.

Late Drops

Graduate students may drop a class through the last class day of a semester, at which point the instructor must assign a symbol of Q (Quit) or F (Fail). The form you need to late-drop a class can be obtained from the EDP registration staff person.  Because the form requires the signatures of the Graduate Adviser, it is best to decide to drop a course prior to the last week of classes.  

More information about Add/Drop deadlines and policies via the Graduate School.  

Full-Time Course Load

Full-time status is necessary to receive most University fellowships, reside in University housing, and be employed for an academic appointment (Teaching Assistant, Research Assistant, Assistant Instructor, etc.). Full-time student status is typically required for visa permits for international students (until candidacy), and is frequently required for student loans or deferment of existing loans (check the Office of Student Financial Services or your lender). Full-time registration in the summer, for the purposes of having an academic appointment (TA, RA, AI, etc.) is three hours (either summer session).

Maximum Course Load

The maximum course load for a graduate student during long semesters (Spring/Fall) is 15 hours, and 12 hours for the Summer semester. A heavier course load must have the recommendation of the Graduate Adviser and approval of the Graduate Dean. Approval is granted only under certain circumstances. Contact the EDP Graduate Coordinator if you wish to take more than the maximum number of hours.

  • No labels