It is a free, open-source SIP client that requires the presence of Oracle's Java runtime to operate.
Deployment & Installation
This soft client requires some initial configuration but does not require logging in after its initial setup.
- Download and decompress the ZIP file.
- Drag the Linphone application icon to the Applications folder.
- Launch the Linphone application.
- From the Options menu, choose Preferences > Manage SIP Accounts.
- Under Default Identity, enter the following:
- Your Display Name: Your Name
- Your Username: Your User ID
- Under Proxy Accounts, click the + Add button.
- In the window the appears, enter the following:
- Your SIP Identity: sip:Your User ID@utexas.edu
- SIP Proxy Address: 18.104.22.168 (delete the "sip:" first)
- Click OK.
- Enter your password when prompted, then click Done.
Maintenance & Support
There is no built-in documentation or automatic update mechanism.
Integration Consideration (ex. Outlook)
This client has no LDAP directory access. It interfaces with neither OS X's Contacts application, nor Microsoft Outlook.
A list of saved contacts may be built manually within the program.
Issues & Resolutions
- Caller ID does not appear to acknowledge the user-configurable Display Name field found in Preferences > Accounts.
- Dialing #71 to reach voicemail does not work; the system refuses to connect the call: "We're sorry, your call cannot be completed as dialed."