In order to best serve curricular needs of Theatre and Dance Majors, to maintain a safe and secure environment for students, faculty and staff, and to ensure proper maintenance and cleanliness of the building, the following policies and procedures exist for use of the Winship Building.
Policies and Procedures
There is a hierarchy of priority to room scheduling in the Winship Building. Scheduled departmental classes are first, followed by rehearsal space for the department production season and class-related projects. After these have been scheduled, then spaces will be reserved by request only, including non-curricular work by majors. To make a room reservation request you need to fill out a form that is kept at the Winship Information Desk, WIN 1.110.
The Laboratory Theatre can be reserved during a weekday (Mon - Fri 9am to 5pm) with a room reservation form. In the after hours and on weekends you can reserve The Laboratory Theatre by sending your request to a graduate student committee overseen by faculty member Rusty Cloyes. They can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are not able to reserve The Payne and Brockett Theaters. Instead, those spaces are scheduled by Texas Performing Arts: email@example.com.
Access to Dance Studios (1.172, 2.116, 2.120) is limited to work in bare feet, socks, or dance shoes. These rooms are designed for movement work. No rehearsal furniture is allowed.
Please fill out a "room reservation request form" at least 2 business days before the event is scheduled, but no earlier than 2 weeks from the reservation date. These forms can be picked up from The Winship Information Desk whenever it is open - to include building monitor hours. Return the completed request to The Winship Information Desk (WIN 1.110) for departmental approval. The form must be signed by a Theatre and Dance faculty member who is willing to serve as the sponsor for your use of the room. AI and TA signatures are not accepted in the faculty signature section. If the room is locked, present the completed form to the building monitor on duty. You will not be allowed to use the space without this written consent. You can pick up your approval form at The Winship Information Desk between 9:00 AM and 5:00 PM.
We ask that all activities (class related, rehearsal, etc.) conclude so that students may vacate the building by 11:00 PM. The Building Monitors secure all rooms before they leave for the evening.
Please note that all rooms must be returned to "classroom order." When you are finished using the rehearsal space, do not leave chairs pushed up against the walls or stacked on top of each other. Return them to the center of the classroom so that the faculty members using the classroom the next morning won’t have to spend time pulling the desks into order to begin their classes. If you have any questions about "classroom order" contact the monitor on duty.
Your room reservation approval can be altered, amended, or canceled at any time if a departmental need arises for the room in question. There is no guarantee that individual reservations will be honored given the hierarchy mentioned above.
We ask that you follow the posted rules in the department for the safety and convenience of everyone involved.
- Incomplete forms will not be processed.
- Forms submitted less than two business days in advance will not be processed.
- Students may not reserve space more than two weeks in advance.
- Whether you use the room or not, you are responsible for whatever happens in a room during the time you have it reserved. So, cancel your reservation if you don't intend to use it.
- Return the room to "classroom order" when you are finished.
- No shoes in the dance studios (1.172, 2.116. 2.120). These rooms are designed for movement work. No rehearsal furniture is allowed.
- If you need AV set up, contact The Media Services Office, WIN 2.114. Only they can assist you with Audio/Visual classroom needs.
- Bring the approved room reservation form with you as proof of your reservation.
- The department reserves the right to limit the number of reservations a student may make all at once, or over a semester.
- There is absolutely no drinking alcohol or smoking in the Winship Building. Violators of this rule will be barred from reserving rooms in Winship.
- Non-UT affiliated persons are not allowed to make room reservation requests, nor are they allowed to use our facilities without a Building Use Agreement (see Ben Fest).
- Failure to follow these policies may result in the revocation of your Winship room reservation privileges.
Dance Studio After Hours Access
Effective February 20, 2012. This policy enacted with the approval of the Dance Area.
- Dance studios (1.172, 2.116, 2.120) are locked during Winship after hours. The studios will be unlocked and function normally during the day (8:00 a.m - 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday).
- The dance studios will only be accessible at night and on the weekends on a key checkout basis.
- Studio keys may be checked out at the Winship Information Desk (WIN 1.110).
- If a student has a room reservation for a dance studio, then he will sign out the key to that studio on the key checkout log and leave a photo ID. When the student’s reservation is over he/she can come retrieve the ID and sign out.
- The front desk can verify a room reservation by looking at the "room request form" with Ben Fest's approval, or if that reservation has been input onto the room reservation calendars on Entourage.
- If someone does not have a reservation form, but wants to “pop-in” on the studio, that student must be a dance student listed on Lyn C. Wiltshire's approved list.
- If a student cannot provide an ID matching a name on the approved list, the front desk cannot let that person check out a key to the dance studio without a faculty-sponsored reservation using the normal room request forms.
Key Checkout Times
Monday through Friday
7:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday
9am to 12pm; 2pm to 5pm; and 7pm to 11pm