Instructions on how to configure Thunderbird to work with Office 365.
1. Open Account Settings (Tools> Account Settings).
2. Click on Account Actions, then "Add Mail Account",
3. Fill out the Settings. Click Continue.
4. If Thunderbird does not apply the settings automatically, manually enter the following settings, then click "Re-test" then "Done" (make sure to double check before clicking next). Please note the Email address and Username should be the same.
5. Close the account setup window. Subscribe to the needed folders by right clicking your email address and clicking Subscribe.
6. Place a check next to the needed folders then click "Subscribe" then "Ok". IMPORTANT: subscribe to Drafts , Deleted Items , Sent Items.
7. Right click your email address and select "Settings".
8. Click on Server Settings then Select "Deleted Items" from the drop-down menu.
9. Click on "Copies & Folders" > "Other:" (under Sending messages) > Your Email > "Sent Items" (NOT "Sent").
10. While still on "Copies & Folders" click "Other:" (under Drafts) > Your Email > "Drafts" .
11. Click "Junk Settings"> Disable the checkbox "Enable adaptive junk mail..." . Then select "OK".
Check "Outgoing Server" settings to make sure the "Office365" SMTP server is set as default.
If you have additional accounts (gmail, hotmail, yahoo, etc.,) configured, each account should have an SMTP server entry.
Remove SMTP servers for legacy departmental email accounts (astro, math, bio, cm, etc.,.)
For a Resource Account (often referred to as a Shared account) you must use the full email address for the user's personal account followed by a backslash (\) then followed by the full resource account email address:
User Name: <User-email>@austin.utexas.edu\<Resource-Account-email>@austin.utexas.edu