You must have a reservation to use the laser cutter. Reservations can be made with the desk staff during our open hours. Laser cutting is $5/hour.
Lime powder MSDS
Laser Cutter Policies
- In order to use the laser cutter the student, faculty, or staff must (1) have gone through a laser cutter training session for the laser cutter in question and (2) have a valid reservation made through the Service Desk.
- Reservations for the laser cutter must be made in person at the Service Desk and the cost is $5.00 per hour.
- The minimum reservation length is 30 minutes, the maximum reservation length is 3 hours.
- Each user is limited to a maximum of 3 hours per week of laser cutter reservations. Each week begins when the lab opens Sunday and ends at lab closing on Saturday night. Same-day reservations do not count against your weekly limit and may be reserved without any limits.
- During times of high use, a wait list will be made available at the Service Desk. If you do not arrive within 15 minutes of your scheduled start time, staff will make the laser cutter available to the top of the wait list. If you are going to be more than 15 minutes late for your reservation, call the Service Desk at 512-471-4817 to avoid losing the rest of your time.
- If you notice that the laser cutter requires cleaning or maintenance, please notify the computer lab staff at 512-471-1189 immediately, any reservation time lost to maintenance or cleaning will be reimbursed with equivalent time or with returned BevoBucks.
- Operating the laser cutter in any unsafe way can result in a fine up to the amount of damage caused to the laser cutter. These guidelines are covered in the laser cutter training session. For example, a replacement lens for the XL-12000 costs $800
- Unsafe practices include (but are not limited to):
- Leaving the laser cutter unattended while it is running.
- Cutting materials that are not on the acceptable materials list.
- There will be a $50 fine assessed for operating the laser cutter without a reservation.
- There will be a $200 fine assessed for operating the laser cutter without the appropriate training, with another $200 fine for the person who allowed you access to the system.
- If you are having EID access problems with the laser cutter systems, contact Service Desk at 512-471-1189. Only the Service Desk staff are permitted to give you access to the system. Do not get another student to log in for you, as this can result in the fines listed above.
- Students with outstanding fines will not be permitted to use any Service Desk resources until the fines are paid in full.
- Laser cutter reservations must be canceled 24 hours in advance in order to receive a refund. Cancellations within 24 hours will only be refunded if the original reservation holder finds another person to take the reservation. This policy also applies to unused time at the end of a reservation.
- Laser cutter reservations are non-transferable, the person listed on the reservation must be present during the operation of the laser cutter for their reservation. The applies to group projects. The person on the reservation is the person who is officially responsible for the laser cutter during their reservation.
- In the event of laser cutter downtime due to repairs or other unforeseen circumstances, users will be notified by email and reimbursed with a new reservation or on their bevobucks upon their next visit to Service Desk.