After student workers in McCombs departments receive their work computer, they can immediately setup different programs themselves. Generally, this is faster than submitting a Tech Support work request. Below are instructions students and staff can follow when setting up work computers for student workers.
Setup Email in Outlook 2007
Do not type anything in any of the fields that come up, even if they look empty at first.
- Launch Outlook.
- At the wizard, click on Next button.
- Click on Next again.
- Click on Finish.
Outlook should now be setup correctly. If the student worker needs to check multiple mailboxes, read the instructions to add another McCombs mailbox to Outlook.
Accessing a File Share
To setup access to a file share:
- Right click on My Computer.
- Select Map Network Drive .. from the list.
- Make sure Drive is pointing to whichever letter you have it mapped. Many times, this is Z.
- In the Folder field, type the name of the share. Generally, it will be in the form of
- Make sure Reconnect at logon is checked.
- Click Finish.
If you get an “Access denied” message, please submit a ticket letting us know about the problem.
Setting Up Define
To setup Define:
- Right click on any empty space on the Desktop.
- Select New, then Shortcut.
- Copy and paste the following path into the field with the location of the item:
- For Windows XP computers – c:\Program Files\QWS3270 Secure\qws3270s.exe
- For Windows 7 computers - c:\Program Files (x86)\QWS3270 Secure\qws3270s.exe
- Click Next.
- Click Finish.