UPDATE: The University Wiki Service is in a degraded state.
The UWS Team is actively working to fully restore service.
For more information please visit the ServiceNow Alerts & Outages page
Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata
On this page:


Office of the Dean of Students

The Student Services Building (SSB) houses the Office of the Dean of Students, which offers many services for students. Below are just some of the services offered. The most commonly-used services are listed below.

Research & Writing

Research with Faculty

Students should always feel free to meet with faculty during their office hours to discuss the research interests of either the student or the faculty member.  It is a mutually beneficial process because faculty want and need to conduct and publish research, and students need to be mentored in the research process.  Students who join with faculty in research projects consistently report benefits, particularly in completing their qualifying document and doctoral dissertation.

Authorship Guidelines

Guidelines for authorship of publications that may result from research collaboration are provided by the American Psychological Association’s, Ethical Principles of Psychologists and Code of Conduct. These guidelines are also elaborated in the APA Publication Manual and their website.  

Department of Statistics and Data Services

The Department of Statistics and Data Services provides a limited amount of free consulting on research design and data analysis issues through in-person and telephone appointments, e-mail consulting, documentation, training, and statistical and mathematical software support.  The consultants are not available to assist students with homework questions, but can provide assistance with qualifying document and dissertation projects.


UT offers many different libraries throughout campus for the use of graduate students.  The Perry-Castañeda Library (PCL) offers most of the services that Educational Psychology graduate students use.  The library website also offers services that can be accessed by students on campus or off with the use of a UT EID. The library system provides support to students on library resources and the vast array of online research tools available for research.

Graduate Student Writing Service

The Sanger Learning Center offers a number of services for graduate students.  This service provides individualized, free writing assistance for any writing project, ranging from a fellowship application or CV to an article for publication, a master’s thesis, or even a dissertation. Consultants provide expert advice to help writers improve their skills and make the most of their work (they do not proofread or edit papers, nor do they predict grades or guarantee better grades).


The University ITS Help and Service Desk provides students, faculty, and staff at UT Austin with a central point of contact for computer help and questions. 

The College of Education Information Technology Office offers a wide range of computer facilities and tech support services for College of Education students, faculty, and staff.  ITO services include computer facilities, equipment checkout and delivery to classrooms (including video camera checkout to use for interview/assessment recordings), computer/technical support, laptop and software assistance, a student study/collaboration area, laser printing, videoconferencing, and technical tutorials.

The Flawn Academic Center (FAC) houses the Campus Computer Store.  This store offers reduced student pricing on a wide variety of software packages for both Mac and PC users, as well as new computers and other technology. 

Some Educational Psychology classes require students to use one of a variety of statistical software packages. Check with your Program Area Chair and your instructor to see whether or not there are licenses available for students to utilize. If purchase is required, be sure to check the Campus Computer Store for software discounts.


Career Resources for Graduate Students: https://gradschool.utexas.edu/services-and-resources/career-resources

More Employment / Financial Resources: https://wikis.utexas.edu/x/aw9iC

Center for Teaching & Learning - Graduate Instructor Resources

Graduate student instructors (TAs and AIs) contribute greatly to the level of teaching excellence at UT Austin. The Center for Teaching and Learning's Graduate Student Instructor Program provides opportunities to advance your pedagogical, professional, and personal development. The program also provides assistance to graduate students in terms of writing their teaching philosophies, syllabi, course goals, assessments, and teaching portfolios.

Parking & Transportation


Faculty, staff, and students may buy a parking permit from the Parking & Transportation Services Office. There are several permit options available, ranging from garage, surface lot, and general parking, some of which are dependent on employment or enrollment status. 

Students and visitors may park in University garages offering hourly rates or at parking meters on campus. Privately owned pay lots and garages also are also often available around the perimeter of campus.  UT Parking requires faculty, staff, and students to buy a permit to park motorcycles or mopeds on campus. Cyclists are highly encouraged to register their bicycles with the UT Police Dept. There is a small amount of 30-minute parking available on the west side of the Sanchez Building as well.  

State Disabled Parking Permits are honored on campus, and specific areas are set aside for disabled parking.  A University Disabled Permit may be required in addition to the State Permit or license plates during specific times, so be sure to check the UT Parking website for requirements.

Always be sure to read the signs if parking on campus, as many areas have designed parking hours, time limits, and permit restrictions.

Public Transportation

Many students opt to use public transportation instead of parking on campus. UT shuttle buses provide free transportation in certain residential areas to and from the UT campus, as well as transportation within the campus. Students may also ride the Capital Metro buses, MetroRail, and MetroRapid free of charge by using their UT ID card.

Student Protections

University Policy on Academic Complaints

Graduate students have the right to seek redress of any grievance related to their academic affairs.  Every effort should be made to resolve grievance informally between the student and the faculty member most directly involved or, such efforts failing, by the Graduate Adviser, the Chair of the Graduate Studies Committee, and/or the Department Chair.  


A student in the Department of Educational Psychology has the right to petition the GSC, through its Executive Committee, on matters relating to his/her academic progress, including requests for a leave of absence, waiver of degree requirements, etc.  To file a petition, first work with your Area Chair/Program Director, who will need to obtain support of your request from the Graduate Adviser, who will then petition the GSC Executive Committee the request is supported.

Students may also petition the Graduate Dean, through the Department Graduate Adviser, on matters related to Graduate School rules and policies. To file a petition, first work with your Area Chair/Program Director, and that person will need to obtain support of your request from the Graduate Adviser, who may then petition the Dean of Graduate Studies on your behalf, or may suggest an alternative resolution.  

When serious issues cannot be resolved informally, the graduate student will have recourse to a formal grievance procedure.

University Policies Protecting Students

The University has numerous policies protecting the rights of students, all covered in the General Information Catalog.

Relevant policy statements include:

  • Equal educational opportunity
  • Prohibition of sexual harassment of students
  • Prohibition of racial harassment of students
  • Prohibition of sexual assault
  • Policy on AIDS and HIV infection
  • Residency regulations
  • Scholastic dishonesty (under Institutional Rules)

Student Grievance Procedure for Non-academic Complaints

Complaints related to non-academic issues (such as sexual or racial harassment or sexual assault) are handled by the Office of the Dean of Students.

Student Employee Grievances

Student employees (TAs, AIs, etc.) who have grievances should refer to the policies in the Handbook of Operating Procedures.

Student Ombuds Services

The Student Ombuds Services office serves as a neutral third party providing assistance to students who have University-related complaints of a non-legal nature.  The office is authorized to investigate grievances involving both academic and nonacademic concerns and recommend corrective measures.  Any case considered inappropriate may be declined by the Ombudsperson.  All assistance provided is confidential and available by phone or in person.  Seeking assistance from the Student Ombuds Services office is most appropriate if remedies within the student’s area/program, Department office, and Graduate School have been unsatisfactory.

Accommodations for Disabilities

The University, in accordance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, states that no otherwise qualified student shall be excluded solely on the basis of the disability from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or otherwise be subjected to discrimination under any academic program or activity.  A student with a disability may be protected by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and be eligible for a reasonable accommodation that will provide an equal opportunity to meet the academic criteria related to professional behavior and scholastic performance. 

Any otherwise qualified student with a protected disability who wishes to request a reasonable accommodation must notify the Services for Students with Disabilities office and provide documentation as needed. Services for Students with Disabilities makes recommendations for accommodations and sends official verifications to appropriate parties so special accommodations can be made.

Areas and programs in Educational Psychology will review academic performance criteria in light of individual student circumstances to explore issues of appropriateness and accommodation. An initial assessment, subsequent plan, use of outside experts (including the Office of Students with Disabilities), and periodic checks between the area/program faculty and the student are appropriate courses of action in making accommodations.

Adjudicating Grievances of Graduate Students

A graduate student has the right to seek redress of any grievance related to his or her academic affairs. 

Every effort should be made to resolve grievances informally between the student and the faculty member most directly involved or, such efforts failing, by the Graduate Adviser, the Chair of the Graduate Studies Committee (GSC), and/or the Chair of the Department. 

When serious issues cannot be resolved informally, the graduate student will have recourse to a formal grievance procedure conducted as outlined below. It should be noted that the precise procedure to be followed in adjudicating a given grievance will depend on the particular circumstances surrounding the case.  Each graduate student may express a grievance through the following procedures with the assurance of timely and thorough consideration.  Grievants are assured freedom from reprisals for the filing of their grievances.  Each student must initiate his or her complaint within six months of the acquisition of knowledge of the grievance.  All complaints must be submitted in writing.

First Level of Adjudication (if attempts described above do not bring resolution): Graduate Studies Committee 

  • The first level of consideration is the appropriate GSC.  If the GSC Chair cannot resolve the matter himself or herself, he or she will seek the advice of the GSC, or an executive sub-committee of the GSC. 
  • If the issue cannot be resolved by the GSC or sub-committee, the GSC Chair will convene an ad hoc panel consisting of members of the GSC to review the complaint. The student will be granted the right to exclude one person from the panel. 
  • Findings of the panel will be reported to the student and faculty member in writing. A copy of the findings will be retained in the files of the GSC Chair. 

Second Level of Adjudication: Office of the Vice President and Dean of Graduate Studies 

  • If the issues cannot be resolved to the satisfaction of both parties concerned at the level of the GSC, the grievance will be forwarded to the Vice President and Dean of Graduate Studies who may convene an ad hoc committee to review the case. 
  • The Vice President and Dean of Graduate Studies will review expeditiously the facts of the case, including any recommendations received from an ad hoc committee, and render a ruling which will be sent to the student, the GSC Chair, and the chair of the ad hoc committee. 

Third Level of Adjudication: Office of the President 

  • The decision of the Vice President and Dean of Graduate Studies may be appealed in writing to the President for final decision.  

In addition, complaints alleging sexual or racial harassment or sexual assault should be addressed in accordance with the policies and procedures published in the General Information Catalog

  • No labels