Child pages
  • Archived-Travel Instructions
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

You are viewing an old version of this page. View the current version.

Compare with Current View Page History

« Previous Version 4 Next »

Each individual traveling, including students, must submit their own travel request.

  • Travel requests must be sent to Where applicable, a supervisor must be CCed on the request, and they must reply to the email with explicit approval before the RTA can be created.
  • Submit your requests at least 2 business days prior to travel.
  • Late travel requests will not be approved and reimbursement will not be allowed. If you fail to submit an RTA prior to your travel, you will have to pay for the expenses out of pocket.
  • Travelers will fill out our internal Travel Request Form (RTA) This download is a Word document and submit it to All travel requests must be submitted prior to the travel start dates.

Additional funding for travel is limited. Researchers can fill out the current Request for Additional Travel Funding form and send it to the director and CC: CTR Admin for approval. Please contact CTR Admin for more information about policy.

DO NOT travel until you receive an automated email with your RTA number.

screenshot of a travel approval email

Example RTA (Request for Travel Authorization) Email. If you do not receive the automated email with your RTA information and number, you should assume you don’t have an RTA in place.

TxDOT-sponsored travel

  • For out-of-state travel requests on TxDOT-sponsored projects, be sure to fill out TxDOT's University Out-of-State Travel Request form for approval before booking your trip.
  • Requires minimum of 10 business days / 2 weeks for RTI approval.
  • Administrators: Per TxDOT policy, all travel should contain the following information in the notes section of the VP5 or in the VE5: Name of traveler, dates, destination, purpose, and project number.
  • You can only pay for your own travel. You cannot be reimbursed for someone else’s accommodations or meals.

TxDOT Out-of-State Travel

  1. Submit TxDOT Form 2632, Request for University Out-of-State Travel (rev. 8/2016), to CTR Contracts at (requires minimum of 10 business days, i.e. 2 weeks, for RTI approval).
  2. Submit a UT Request for Travel Authorization formThis download is a Word document to CTR Administration at
    • Please review UT's requirement for international travel University of Texas link.
    • Information needed:
      • Project number
      • Name of person traveling
      • Travel dates and destination
      • Sponsor and title if attending a seminar, workshop, or conference
      • Specific purpose and benefit to meet project objectives (very important for approval)
      • Estimated costs (should be according to state guidelines for mileage, lodging and meals)
      • Other charges as needed should be explained in the other items/expense notes
      • Signature of employee and supervisor
      • Abstract of paper for RTI review if giving a presentation
    • Final approval will come from the Project Manager (PM) once the out-of-state travel request is submitted by the CTR Contracts Office.

Things to consider:

  • Dates of travel must be within the fiscal year of project.
  • Was the travel budgeted in the project agreement?
  • Is there money in the budget for this particular travel?
  • How does this travel benefit TxDOT?
Tip: In the portion of the travel request form where you enter Estimated Costs, after entering the first cost, TAB to the next entry and enter. Keep tabbing for the remaining cost entries. The form will automatically calculate the costs. Before downloading, please read the important information concerning this document by clicking here.


  • No labels