This page explains registration procedures for Rising Seniors or current Seniors who have been admitted to the BSBME/MSE Integrated Program through the Step 1 application process and are registering for graduate courses to be taken while in undergraduate standing.
STEP 1: PREPARE
Run your BSBME IDA: https://registrar.utexas.edu/studentsdegrees/ida. Make sure your IDA lists 92-99% with in-progress courses. Email Chase (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any corrections that need to be made.
Review MSE Degree Requirements & download MSE Program of Work attached to this page.
Make a plan for which 2 graduate courses you wish to take, being careful to check how they will count in your MSE Program of Work. The Fall Course Schedule is posted two weeks before registration begins. The approved coursework listing shows how graduate courses count toward the MSE program of work. This list is not exhaustive. If you want to take a course that is not listed, email Dr. Andrew Dunn (email@example.com) for permission to take the course.
STEP 2: ADVISING
Email Brittain (firstname.lastname@example.org) & Lacy (email@example.com) your completed program of work, including completed graduate courses and proposed courses for the following semester. Brittain will sign your PoW electronically on behalf of Dr. Dunn and send the unique numbers for your Fall graduate courses to ESS to obtain approval for you to register for the them.
Your advising bar will not be lifted until your Program of Work form is received.
STEP 3: REGISTER FOR 2 GRADUATE CLASSES
Once ESS approves your registration for the unique numbers, you should be able to register yourself.
Non-BME Graduate Classes: If we do not have authorization to add you, you can send an email to the Graduate Coordinator (GC) in the department for the class, who can let you know if the department has the course restricted through the first week of classes or whether you need to gain instructor approval to be added to the course. Use the list of all GCs on campus to locate the appropriate person to email. Copy Brittain on these emails.
STEP 4: RESERVE THE COURSES FOR GRADUATE CREDIT
Graduate courses taken while in undergraduate standing will only count toward a future graduate degree if you reserve the courses for future graduate credit. Complete one form for each graduate course in which you enroll:
- Click this link to access the form in DocuSign. (We are no longer using the regular PDF version of this form, please use DocuSign)
- In the first step, you'll need to enter an email address for the course's instructor. If you are a dual degree student, you must also add your second UG advisor and UG dean's office.
- In the second step, you'll need to complete a portion of the form, including information about you and the course you want to reserve for graduate credit.
- When you finish your part, the form will route automatically to everyone who needs to sign.
- When the form is complete, you will receive an email from DocuSign with a download link. Download the form and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org by the 12th class day in the semester you are taking the course.
- Contact email@example.com if you have any issues with this form or DocuSign.