Greeting-only accounts will play an announcement for callers, but will not allow them to leave messages. Typical uses are announcing hours and location, or playing updated event information. Greeting-only boxes can be accessed and updated by the owner via Telephone User Interface (TUI) at any time. (There is no Graphic User Interface, or GUI, i.e. computer login.) The only actions available are changing the recorded announcement and changing the PIN.
When requesting a greeting-only account, you may specify the number of repetitions to play for callers. This will help callers who are transcribing the information in your announcement. This can always be changed later by emailing the UT Voice Mail office.
To order, email your request to email@example.com, and be sure to include the phone number and the number of repetitions of the announcement.
Initializing a greeting-only account:
- Dial the access number 512 232-8886 (UTVM); on campus, dial 2-8886.
- Enter the mailbox number and press #.
- Enter the default PIN (1111) and press #.
- Listen to the introductory prompt and follow the simple instructions to create a new PIN. Once you create a PIN, the mailbox is initialized.
- The system prompts you to record your personal greeting. Wait for the beep and record the greeting callers will hear when they access the mailbox. When you finish recording, press #.
- UTVM repeats the recording for your review and offers options to accept or re-record the greeting or to press * to exit.
- After saving your greeting, the tutorial notifies you that you have completed the steps to set up the mailbox and plays options for changing the greeting or the PIN for the account.
IMPORTANT: If your greeting-only mailbox is associated with a telephone instrument, you will need to follow the steps under Forwarding Calls to Voice Mail. (If your greeting-only line is a virtual line, i.e., not associated with a telephone set, then your Voice Mail Administrator will have already programmed the line to forward calls directly to voice mail.)