In addition to the Build Lab's safety training, operators must first complete CNC Certification Course. Reserve your spot on Bookings for the in-person training sessions once complete with Canvas. A certified operator who also has a paid subscription must be present during milling operations unless the file has been approved to run unattended or overnight. Please plan well in advance as it can take time to coordinate schedules and complete the hands-on training.
In order to become CNC trained and certified:
- Complete the Build Lab's safety training, mentioned above.
- Complete the CNC Certification Course on Canvas.
- Email the Tech Desk to request to be added to the course.
- Review all of the material in the SOA CNC Certification Course, and complete the practice quizzes at the end of each section.
- You have as many chances as you'd like to attempt these practice quizzes – use them to your advantage as the final quiz pulls questions from the practice quizzes.
- Score a 100% on the "CNC Certification Final Exam"
- You only have three attempts to receive a 100%. Take your time and read each question carefully. Incorrect answers will point you in the direction of material you still need to review.
- If you require more than three attempts, email the Tech Desk to request an additional attempt.
- Only after scoring a 100% on the final exam, reserve your spot for the in-person training session through Bookings.
- Reservations close 24-hours prior to the in-person training sessions.
- Follow one of the tutorials we have created and prepare your files for cutting.
- Review the CNC Router Materials page for approved stock.
- Bits broken by misuse of the router must be replaced by the user immediately and can be purchased at the Technology Lab service desk.
- Lab staff will assist you through the setup and cutting of your first project. If they are satisfied with your performance and progress, you will be added to the list of certified CNC users.
- Once you are certified, the Technology Lab staff will continue to be available to consult on CNC projects as you develop.
- Comply with the CNC Router Materials policies page.
CNC Training Schedule
Dates for Fall 2023 Dates for Spring 2024 (Tentative) Important Notes on Training Availability First Training Training opens the Thursday after the 12th day of class. Recurring Trainings
Training dates are available for sign-up each Thursday until the training deadline. Last Training / DEADLINE CNC training availability will end 4-weeks prior to the week of final reviews.
This policy is to ensure that all certified students are given a chance to operate the CNC for their final review projects. No training options will be available after the deadline.