UT’s new Voice Over IP (VoIP) phone system comes with its own new integrated voice mail system, which has been rebranded as “UT Voicemail” (UTVM). Once your phone service is transferred to the new phone system, so you’ll no longer be using your SmartVoice mailbox. (In case you have saved messages in your SmartVoice mailbox, don’t worry; it will still be accessible for the foreseeable future. Note: Messages expire in 30 days by default.)
The information below will help you get started with basic login and setup tasks using your new UTVM mailbox. Included are steps for popular customizations, help and support information and known issues. This Wiki will be expanded as time allows.
The first time you login, you’ll be led through several steps. The first step is to change your PIN (this step is required); the others are to record your name and your greeting (optional but recommended) so you may want to have your greeting script ready beforehand.
Logging in from your campus phone:
* Dial #71. UTVM will automatically find your mailbox. (NOTE: To log in to a mailbox associated with a different phone, press the star key to be prompted for a mailbox number.)
* Enter your PIN (the default PIN is 1111) and press the pound key.
Logging in from another phone:
* Dial the access number for UTVM: 232-UTVM (8886); on campus, dial 2-8886. (NOTE: If you’re on a phone with it’s own UTVM mailbox, you’ll be prompted for its PIN, so press the star key to be prompted for your own mailbox number.)
* Enter your mailbox number (the last five digits of your campus phone number) and press the pound key.
* Enter your PIN (the default PIN is 1111) and press the pound key.
Activating Your Mailbox
Unlike in the previous phone system, you can implement and control the call-forward features used with voice mail, forward-no-answer and forward-busy. Most customers use both, but some prefer to omit forward-busy. Once you’ve personalized your mailbox, you will need to program your phone to start sending calls to voice mail.
To forward calls to voice mail when you don't answer the phone:
* To activate this feature, dial *84 28886 and wait for the confirmation tone, then hang up.
* To change the number of rings before calls forward to voice mail, dial 33 followed by the number of rings you prefer (possible settings are 2 through 9) and wait for the confirmation tone, then hang up.
* To deactivate this feature, dial *85 and wait for the confirmation tone, then hang up.
To forward calls to voice mail when you're already on the phone:
* To activate this feature, dial *82 28886 and wait for the confirmation tone, then hang up.
* To deactivate this feature, dial *83 and wait for the confirmation tone, then hang up.
To forward all calls straight to voice mail:
* To activate this feature, dial 72 28886 and wait for the confirmation tone, then hang up.
* To deactivate this feature, dial 73 and wait for the confirmation tone, then hang up.
All desktop access to your UTVM account is by web browser. UTVM accounts are not associated with names and EIDs, so you will no longer use your EID login to access voicemail via web browser. Your login is exactly the same as the telephone login, using your five-digit phone number and the new PIN you chose when logging in by phone the first time.
To log in, use any standard we browser and go to http://voicemail0.its.utexas.edu:8082/VXView/
Caller Transfer-Out Feature
Unlike SmartVoice, the new system has only one transfer-out option.
1. Log in by web browser.
2. In the left-hand navigation pane, click Settings.
3. In the new window, select Preferences.
4. Look for “Subscriber Defined Transfer” and check the box next to it.
5. Below that, enter the five-digit campus number, or ten-digit off-campus number (local numbers only but you must still enter the area code), that you wish callers to transfer to. No punctuation is necessary.
6. Scroll to the bottom of the page and press the Save button.
7. In your greeting, you will need to instruct callers to press 1 if they wish to be transferred.
Automatically Forwarding Messages to Email
First, set up the email address to forward to:
1. Log in by web browser
2. In the left-hand navigation pane, click Notification.
3. In the new window, select Set Up Notification.
4. Enter your email address, and click the Add Attachment button to the right. (Note: If you click Add instead of Add Attachment you’ll get a notification of new voice mail without the recording attached.)
5. You can repeat the previous step to forward messages to multiple addresses, if you like.
6. Optional: Edit the Subject and Body fields.
7. Scroll to the bottom of the page and press the Save button.
Next, verify that forwarding is turned on:
1. Click Notification again.
2. This time, click Activate Notification.
3. If the “Notify me through Email” option is set to Off, select one of the other options.
Help & Support
The UTVM Subscriber Guide is the full user guide, including sections on telephone and web access (the latter referred to as VXView in the manual). I’m also sending a map of the Telephone User Interface (TUI), taken from the Subscriber Guide for easy access, called UTVM TUI Menu Map. These documents have not yet been rebranded from the vendor (GenBand) to UT Voicemail. Some features described in these guides may not be supported at UT or with the basic voice mail configuration. Here’s a list of features not in service for your mailbox:
* Broadcast Message – not supported for basic subscriber accounts.
* Fax Service – not in service by default, but you may request it. Callers will hear a system menu when they reach your voice mailbox: “To leave a voice message, press 1. To deposit a fax, press 2.”
* Greetings-Only Mailbox – not available for basic subscriber accounts, but you may request an “announcement-only” mailbox.
* Outdial Notification – not supported at UT.
* Outdial Message Service – not supported at UT.
* Transcription Service – not yet supported, but will become available for a fee.
* In the TUI Menu Map, some options under 9 > 1 are out of order, and language options are not supported.
Telephone User Interface (TUI)
- Reply-to-Live feature: If you select this feature at the end of a message, your call will be placed to the sender, but you will not hear their phone ringing (ringback tone); the vendor is investigating.
- The Busy greeting is not working when you’re on the phone; callers hear the No Answer greeting instead. The vendor is investigating.
Graphical User Interface (GUI)
- Sometimes clicking a link doesn't work on the first click, and requires a second click.
- If your session expires, you may get a message telling you to contact your administrator. That's not necessary; log out and log back in.
- The session expiration is set to one hour by default. We've requested it be set to four hours, and are awaiting a response from the vendor.
- After logging in following a session time-out, you may sometimes only see a subset of the normal options; log out and log back in.
If you need to report anything not working properly, or have any questions or concerns regarding the new UT Voicemail, please feel free to contact your TSC or the Voice Mail Office at 471-0019.